Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Any PCBs currently for sale?

Expand Messages
  • fixitsan2
    ... Hehehe, I think I should do that ! I ve got all the code and 4000 or so words loaded, just need to write the control code now. I ve decided on a two-mode
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Derryck Croker <derryck@...> wrote:
      >
      > On 28 Feb 2012, at 15:54, fixitsan2 wrote:
      >
      > > I am currently trying to produce a 4-play (four letter letter word emulator) device using the same hardware, but I am torn between making my own 30V psu circuit or the 4-play device a priority.
      >
      > Go for the 4-Play! :-)
      >
      > --
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Derryck
      >

      Hehehe, I think I should do that !
      I've got all the code and 4000 or so words loaded, just need to write the control code now.

      I've decided on a two-mode device. Press the function button and the time mode is invoked, you can program it to display a word now and again, but mostly it displays the time. Press the function button again and you go into word mode, where the words take priority and the time is displayed only as frequently as desired.

      Sometimes it is useful to have a clock which mostly displays the time and other times it is better to show wordplay. That's what I reckon anyway !

      Chris
    • michail1@aol.com
      ... Michail In a message dated 3/3/2012 10:04:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, fixitsan@aol.com writes: Sometimes it is useful to have a clock which mostly
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        :)
         
        Michail
         
        In a message dated 3/3/2012 10:04:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, fixitsan@... writes:
        Sometimes it is useful to have a clock which mostly displays the time and other times it is better to show wordplay. That's what I reckon anyway !
      • Dylan Distasio
        Chris- Sounds awesome! Out of curiosity, is your plan to fit it into one smartsocket programmed PIC that would still sit on the main PCB or are you adding
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          Chris-

          Sounds awesome!  Out of curiosity, is your plan to fit it into one smartsocket programmed PIC that would still sit on the main PCB or are you adding some kind of memory or a second IC for the words list to the design?  I haven't crunched the numbers or anything, but I was looking at a somewhat similar VFD clock that was using an ATMega infrastructure and they are running into some issues fitting the words list directly into the main IC with the existing clock firmware.  

          I'm also interested since I have a smartsocket already and would love to convert it once you have your 4-play done, and was wondering if it will require any hardware mods or feeding the smartsocket input from an additional chip.

          Best,
          Dylan 

          On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, fixitsan2 <fixitsan@...> wrote:
           



          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Derryck Croker <derryck@...> wrote:
          >
          > On 28 Feb 2012, at 15:54, fixitsan2 wrote:
          >
          > > I am currently trying to produce a 4-play (four letter letter word emulator) device using the same hardware, but I am torn between making my own 30V psu circuit or the 4-play device a priority.
          >
          > Go for the 4-Play! :-)
          >
          > --
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Derryck
          >

          Hehehe, I think I should do that !
          I've got all the code and 4000 or so words loaded, just need to write the control code now.

          I've decided on a two-mode device. Press the function button and the time mode is invoked, you can program it to display a word now and again, but mostly it displays the time. Press the function button again and you go into word mode, where the words take priority and the time is displayed only as frequently as desired.

          Sometimes it is useful to have a clock which mostly displays the time and other times it is better to show wordplay. That's what I reckon anyway !

          Chris


        • fixitsan2
          ... Hi Dylan, I m going for the all in one approach, so it would be a drop in replacement for existing software :) I ve also just preordered a Raspberry Pi so
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Distasio <interzone@...> wrote:
            >
            > Chris-
            >
            > Sounds awesome! Out of curiosity, is your plan to fit it into one
            > smartsocket programmed PIC that would still sit on the main PCB or are you
            > adding some kind of memory or a second IC for the words list to the design?

            Hi Dylan, I'm going for the all in one approach, so it would be a drop in replacement for existing software :)

            I've also just preordered a Raspberry Pi so a four letter word IV-17 driver for the Raspberry Pi might make an appearance at some point too. (if nobody beats me to it ;) )

            Chris
          • Dylan Distasio
            Sounds like you re throwing down the gauntlet...I just preordered a Raspberry Pi also ;).
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet...I just preordered a Raspberry Pi also ;).

              On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM, fixitsan2 <fixitsan@...> wrote:
               



              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Distasio <interzone@...> wrote:
              >
              > Chris-
              >
              > Sounds awesome! Out of curiosity, is your plan to fit it into one
              > smartsocket programmed PIC that would still sit on the main PCB or are you
              > adding some kind of memory or a second IC for the words list to the design?

              Hi Dylan, I'm going for the all in one approach, so it would be a drop in replacement for existing software :)

              I've also just preordered a Raspberry Pi so a four letter word IV-17 driver for the Raspberry Pi might make an appearance at some point too. (if nobody beats me to it ;) )

              Chris


            • fixitsan2
              ... It couldn t be a better time to get into system level programming in a host of languages. Well done the Raspberry Pi foundation ! As for the 4-play device,
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Distasio <interzone@...> wrote:
                >
                > Sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet...I just preordered a
                > Raspberry Pi also ;).

                It couldn't be a better time to get into system level programming in a host of languages.
                Well done the Raspberry Pi foundation !

                As for the 4-play device, after seeing Simon Law's circuit board he prototyped for the IV-17 Smartsockets I realised that I can get the size down quite a lot to make a suitably attractive size.

                For the controls I am toying with a rotary encoder (basically because I'e done a lot with them already), the cheaper option of 3 NO push switches, and the pie in the sky capacitive touch sensing panel (I have never done anything like that before).

                I'm working on it slowly though, so something will appear, hopefully soon :)

                Chris
              • Derryck Croker
                Delivery week commencing 30th April - wonder if I ll get the free case? -- Cheers Derryck
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  Delivery week commencing 30th April - wonder if I'll get the free case?

                  --

                  Cheers

                  Derryck



                  On 4 Mar 2012, at 15:40, Dylan Distasio wrote:

                  >
                  >
                  > Sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet...I just preordered a Raspberry Pi also ;).
                  >
                  > On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM, fixitsan2 <fixitsan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Distasio <interzone@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Chris-
                  > >
                  > > Sounds awesome! Out of curiosity, is your plan to fit it into one
                  > > smartsocket programmed PIC that would still sit on the main PCB or are you
                  > > adding some kind of memory or a second IC for the words list to the design?
                  >
                  > Hi Dylan, I'm going for the all in one approach, so it would be a drop in replacement for existing software :)
                  >
                  > I've also just preordered a Raspberry Pi so a four letter word IV-17 driver for the Raspberry Pi might make an appearance at some point too. (if nobody beats me to it ;) )
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.