Another fad ? it just might be !

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2012
      When I first put LEDs under behind some B5991 nixie tubes in my PC disk bay nixie clock and called it the 'festival' nixie clock, back in 2003, I got some mixed reactions. The diehard fans said nixies should be neon orange or nothing, and a few others did the same thing as me.
      (I sometimes feel I should apologise to the purists for doing that !)

      Well, this might not be for everyone, and perhaps it has been done before ( I know a few people have experimented with painting nixies) but painting these little VFD tubes with glass paint or even applying coloured films can increase the contrast ratio, as well as cut out a lot of green haze.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/28496053@N04/6727541183/in/photostream

      The painted tubes are the ones showing '2110' in the middle, and from left to right they are painted with purple, red, amber and blue glass paint. The paint was from a local hobby shop, 5ml of six colours cost me £1.99 (5 ml should be enough for 6 or 8 tubes)

      It seems to make the tubes more readable, possibly due to the peculiar sensitivy curve the eye seems to have with the colour green.

      Painted tubes with coloured leds underneath ? Why not !