Re: New IV-17 smartsocket owner

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <terry+yg@...> wrote:

      > You won't be able to successfully type multi-character commands using a terminal program - the smartsocket code has a timer, and thus what you type will be interpreted as an incomplete command and ignored.

      After I replied to your message earlier Dylan it occured to me that the problem might be related to the fact that hyperterminal sends data in real time.
      What i used to do was create text files with commands in them, exactly as Terry has described. then in hyperterminal, on of the menu options is 'send file' and yoiu can just click on the file you saved earlier as text and it will be transmitted as a valid command.

      I moved onto using the Pickit 2 as the terminal device after that, it has an excellent little terminal program buried int he menus and yoiu can save 6 command strings, ready to send at the push of the button.

      Chris
    • ddistasio
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
        Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am still not having any luck with hyperterminal and the FTDI interface. I was able to successfully send a V to the board from my Arduino though, with the version displayed correctly!

        I am still struggling with sending a message with binary in it, like MD 2 HI as an example. I've tried a number of different things on the Arduino, but something is getting lost in translation.

        If anyone here has used an Arduino as a controller, I would appreciate your input / suggestions.

        I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

        Best,
        Dylan

        > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <terry+yg@> wrote:
        > >

        > > You won't be able to successfully type multi-character commands using a terminal program - the smartsocket code has a timer, and thus what you type will be interpreted as an incomplete command and ignored.
        >

        > After I replied to your message earlier Dylan it occured to me that the problem might be related to the fact that hyperterminal sends data in real time.
        > What i used to do was create text files with commands in them, exactly as Terry has described. then in hyperterminal, on of the menu options is 'send file' and yoiu can just click on the file you saved earlier as text and it will be transmitted as a valid command.
        >
        > I moved onto using the Pickit 2 as the terminal device after that, it has an excellent little terminal program buried int he menus and yoiu can save 6 command strings, ready to send at the push of the button.
        >

        > Chris

      • ddistasio
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
          One other comment, I was able to send a V from a text file in hyperterminal successfully using a different FTDI cable.

          I am still having trouble with multiple byte commands though. Can someone tell me what I should put in the text file for this command for example?

          < M > < S > < 60 > < 4 > < 1 >< Hello World >

          I am not putting brackets but have a feeling I am missing something else. Thanks.

          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "ddistasio" <interzone@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am still not having any luck with hyperterminal and the FTDI interface. I was able to successfully send a V to the board from my Arduino though, with the version displayed correctly!
          >
          > I am still struggling with sending a message with binary in it, like MD 2 HI as an example. I've tried a number of different things on the Arduino, but something is getting lost in translation.
          >
          > If anyone here has used an Arduino as a controller, I would appreciate your input / suggestions.
          >
          > I'm sure I'll get there eventually!
          >
          > Best,
          > Dylan
          > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "fixitsan2" <fixitsan@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <terry+yg@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > You won't be able to successfully type multi-character commands using a terminal program - the smartsocket code has a timer, and thus what you type will be interpreted as an incomplete command and ignored.
          > >

          > > After I replied to your message earlier Dylan it occured to me that the problem might be related to the fact that hyperterminal sends data in real time.
          > > What i used to do was create text files with commands in them, exactly as Terry has described. then in hyperterminal, on of the menu options is 'send file' and yoiu can just click on the file you saved earlier as text and it will be transmitted as a valid command.
          > >
          > > I moved onto using the Pickit 2 as the terminal device after that, it has an excellent little terminal program buried int he menus and yoiu can save 6 command strings, ready to send at the push of the button.
          > >

          > > Chris

        • Terry
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "ddistasio" <interzone@...> wrote:
            > < M > < S > < 60 > < 4 > < 1 >< Hello World >
            >
            > I am not putting brackets but have a feeling I am missing something else. Thanks.

            The numbers 60, 4, and 1 need to be expressed as binary values, not character codes. In hexadecimal (for example, as you'd see with the DEBUG program in MS-DOS), this would be:

            4D 53 3C 04 01 48 65 6C 6C 6F 20 57 6F 72 6C 64 MS<..Hello World

            Where the stuff on the right is just there for your convenience. What you want are the 16 2-digit values on the left. Note that this is hexadecimal (base 16), so 60 decimal = 3C hexadecimal. Hex counts like this: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 09 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10 11 12... The fact that 60 decimal happens to look like "<" is just a side effect of the way the ASCII character set works, not related to any "<" in the documentation or examples. There's a character set table at http://www.asciitable.com as well as elsewhere on the net.

            The reason I suggested the CDT command is because it is one of the few multi-character commands that doesn't require the use of special characters. I believe the syntax changes slightly depending on the firmware version, but something like:

            echo CDT1 > com3

            in a DOS command window (assuming your serial adapter is on COM3) should display the clock.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 20, 2012
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "ddistasio" <interzone@...> wrote:

              > Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am still not having any luck with hyperterminal and the FTDI interface. I was able to successfully send a V to the board from my Arduino though, with the version displayed correctly!
              >
              > I am still struggling with sending a message with binary in it, like MD 2 HI as an example. I've tried a number of different things on the Arduino, but something is getting lost in translation.
              >
              > If anyone here has used an Arduino as a controller, I would appreciate your input / suggestions.
              >
              > I'm sure I'll get there eventually!
              >
              > Best,
              > Dylan

              Dylan, I've only had a minute to look at the Arduino manual, does any of this look familiar ?

              serial.print("MD");
              serial.write(2);
              serial.print("HI");

              Note that the middle line uses 'write' which instructs the Ardiono just to send the raw binary value, not the printable ascii equivalent

              The commands much send immediately one after the other with no delays or else the end of message timer will assume the datastream has ended.

              If the smartsocket doesn't respond correctly to the commands above, because the timer drops out, then you just need to convert all characters to binary.

              Alternatively, try this command
              serial.write("MD",2,"HI")
              (it mat be illegal because it has more than 1 element)

              Keep us posted, I'll keep looking at this end

              Chris
            • Dylan Distasio
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 20, 2012
                So I'm slowly making some good progress.  I was able to send a set clock and display time command from the Arduino.  CoolTerm also looks great.  I tried it with my FTDI cable and it was going fine, but I started to get serial errors I couldn't get rid of even after rebooting the smartsocket and disconnecting/reconnecting the USB side.  I will play with it some more later though.

                I am still working on sorting out how to send the binary stuff via the Arduino.

                One question on the display time command...Is there anyway to set it to refresh the time automatically, or do I have to make a call from whatever external system I have driving the smartsocket?

                Also, I apologize if people have posted this already and I've missed it, but can anyone share how they are using their smartsockets?  What are you using to drive them...PICs / ATMegas?  Are you doing 4 letter word clocks?  Scrolling data?  I'm curious to hear how everyone is utilizing theirs and would also like to know if anyone is sharing code for different uses?

                Best,
                Dylan

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 20, 2012
                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Distasio <interzone@...> wrote:

                  >I tried it with my FTDI cable and it was going fine, but I started to get
                  > serial errors I couldn't get rid of even after rebooting the smartsocket
                  > and disconnecting/reconnecting the USB side. I will play with it some more
                  > later though.

                  Dylan are you using autobaud or are you waiting 2 seconds after the Smartsocket reboots to the default of 9600 baud ?

                  > One question on the display time command...Is there anyway to set it to
                  > refresh the time automatically, or do I have to make a call from whatever
                  > external system I have driving the smartsocket?

                  The key with the clock command is to make the clock display the last command of any sequence of commands, such as those to set the font or the effect used by the clock.

                  When the clock is being displayed, any subsequent serial data takes precedence and the clock appears to be stopped. Therefore if yoiu want to display the clock for a couple of minutes, send all the clock setup commands and then lastly send the CDT command and leave it for as long as you want it to display for. once you have called the clock it should remain on the display, constantly updating, ( the seconds displayed on the decimal points) until any other command is received

                  I intend to allow the clock to be restored after an unrelated command has been received - one of the problems I can remember having occured if yiou changed the transition effects while a transition effect was in progress. the resultant clock display could sometimes become corrupt if the command arrived at a certain time during a transition. It is how it is now just as a safety precaution, I can probably rearrange it, now that i have rewritten my interrupt handler.

                  > Also, I apologize if people have posted this already and I've missed it,
                  > but can anyone share how they are using their smartsockets? What are you
                  > using to drive them...PICs / ATMegas? Are you doing 4 letter word clocks?
                  > Scrolling data? I'm curious to hear how everyone is utilizing theirs and
                  > would also like to know if anyone is sharing code for different uses?
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Dylan

                  I intend to make a four letter word device, with clock and alarm. I've actually also wanted to make a serial data script player for quite a while, since realising that so many devices need a set pattern of commands in order to work, so I'll probably get started on that next. It will allow control of Smartsockets among other things :)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 20, 2012
                    Hi Dylan,

                    I have been using realterm for testing the smartsocks at the moment. What i like about it is that you can send multiple character types in the same string.

                    Eg: to send ABCD to the smartsocket starting at tube 1, you type "MD\001ABCD" and hit send ASCII. MD is in ASCII, \001 is decimal and ABCD is in ASCII. (exclude the quotes)

                    Another example is "MS\x64\x04\x01 HELLO WORLD ". MS is in ASCII, \x64, \x04 and \x01 are in hex and the HELLO WORLD (with 4 spaces at the start and end) are in ASCII. (exclude the quotes)

                    I keep a bunch of commands in a .txt file to quickly copy and paste them into realterm for sending.

                    One thing i found i had to do to get realterm to work on my machine (win7 x64) is let the program run as an administrator. Without that , it would crash on startup.

                    I have also had troubles getting the sparkfun FTDI basic breakout to work with the smartsockets. I ended up using an ebay USB to TTL converter which uses the CP2102 chip.

                    Cheers.
                    Simon

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 20, 2012
                      Hi Simon-

                      Thank you so much for sharing!  This was exactly what I was looking for, as I was not able to figure out how to mix types using CoolTerm or the Arduino yet.  I have tried your examples with Realterm and my FTDI cable, and they are working like a charm.  Very exciting!

                      Cheers,
                      Dylan

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 21, 2012
                        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Dylan,
                        >
                        > I have been using realterm for testing the smartsocks at the moment. What i like about it is that you can send multiple character types in the same string.

                        Thanks for sharing that Simon, that's a great solution !