Any document wizards here ?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
      I have just updated the Smartsocket manual, version 2.31, in the files section.
      I write the manual in Word 2007 and select 'Save as PDF'. this has always worked before, but for some reason today the resulting PDF looks terrible, and all I did was a dd a few lines.

      Does anyone understand why this problem happens ? (Are Microchip and Microsoft sharing the same 'undocumented features' ? )

      Chris
    • John Rehwinkel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
        > I have just updated the Smartsocket manual, version 2.31, in the files section.
        > I write the manual in Word 2007 and select 'Save as PDF'. this has always worked before, but for some reason today the resulting PDF looks terrible, and all I did was a dd a few lines.
        >
        > Does anyone understand why this problem happens ? (Are Microchip and Microsoft sharing the same 'undocumented features' ? )

        Yup, Microsoft is *famous* for "undocument features", as well as blatant disregard for standards (such as PDF). Does the document look fine on the screen?

        One trick a lot of people use is to get a PDF printer driver, and "print" the document using the driver, which then generates a PDF from the print data.

        You could also try importing the document into another word processor that can read Word documents (OpenOffice, Google Docs, Pages, etc.) and printing from there. You don't have to maintain the document in the foreign program if you don't want to, just import the current version every time you want to generate a clean PDF.

        Note: real document wizards do not use Word. :) Also note, you do not want to use what I use, it makes gorgeous documents, but isn't WYSIWYG or user friendly or anything like that.

        - John
      • Bee Dee
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
          I use the new version of OO:

          http://www.libreoffice.org/
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2012
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

            > > I have just updated the Smartsocket manual, version 2.31, in the files section.
            > > I write the manual in Word 2007 and select 'Save as PDF'. this has always worked before, but for some reason today the resulting PDF looks terrible, and all I did was a dd a few lines.
            > >
            > > Does anyone understand why this problem happens ? (Are Microchip and Microsoft sharing the same 'undocumented features' ? )
            >
            > Yup, Microsoft is *famous* for "undocument features", as well as blatant disregard for standards (such as PDF). Does the document look fine on the screen?
            >
            > One trick a lot of people use is to get a PDF printer driver, and "print" the document using the driver, which then generates a PDF from the print data.
            >
            > You could also try importing the document into another word processor that can read Word documents (OpenOffice, Google Docs, Pages, etc.) and printing from there. You don't have to maintain the document in the foreign program if you don't want to, just import the current version every time you want to generate a clean PDF.
            >
            > Note: real document wizards do not use Word. :) Also note, you do not want to use what I use, it makes gorgeous documents, but isn't WYSIWYG or user friendly or anything like that.
            >
            > - John

            Yep, it looks bad on the screen. 2 days ago the same document saved as a PDF in the same way looked great. I'll have a go again trying different save options.

            I can manage any weird format one way or the other, but I got office 2007 for £47 as a student. Works for me.

            For my day job I work on these presses, which take documents in any format and prints them exactly as they appear on screen....at 3300 pages per minute.
            http://global.oce.com/products/jetstream-wide-series/default.aspx
            Diagnosing, repairing, upgrading them and watching them generally whirr along. Or sit at home waiting for one to break down