Re: Difference between 7971 board and 1350 board?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 27 3:17 PM
      Is it missing, really ? I like the retro look and made it that way
      deliberately

      Are you able to sort out the new font yourself ?

      If not I'll see what i can do this week, else you could redefine a
      UDC in the meantime

      I can't think why you got an underscore problem with the code on the
      IC's, and I can only think it could have been a dirty contact in the
      socket because there is only one version of software for the ZM1350
      sockets, and when I checked it this afternoon it worked as it was
      designed to do.

      Which version of B7971 sockets were you using ? My only other thought
      was that if you ave a very early B7971 version the underscore comes
      on immediately after the command instructing them to come on is set,
      but in the later versions, and the ZM1350 version the underscore
      comes on at the next character transition. It had to be changed due
      to some problems with the original version which occureed due to bad
      data handling

      Chris

      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

      > The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against
      the V2
      > hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them
      with
      > the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change
      the "R"
      > to have the missing horizontal segment.
      >
      > Rich
      >

      > Chris wrote:
      >
      > > Hello paul,
      > > I'll look into it here. The ZM1350 sockets use the same
      instruction
      > > handling code as the B7971 sockets and therefore they should
      work. You
      > > could try debugging by removing the controller from it's socket,
      > > disconnecting the serial line and putting 5V onto the IC socket
      pins
      > > checking each segment in turn. If the underscore segment lights
      during
      > > that test the problem is definately code related.
      > >
      > > Please let me know if you find something wrong with the hardware
      if you
      > > don't hear back from me first
      > >
      > > Chris

    • Rich Gopstein
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 6:32 AM
        The retro-R looks cool, but I think full-R goes better with the other
        letters. Personal preference :)
        I was able to change it in the hex code (and I learned how lookup tables
        are implemented in PICs in the process).

        These PICs were the last four you sent a couple of weeks ago - but you
        said that those 7971 boards were prototypes or something. The PICs must
        have had old code in them. Updating the code to the posted version fixed
        the problem, so I'm happy. It was definitely a code problem - all four
        7971 boards had it, none of the 1350's did. Also - the chips failed to
        verify against the posted hex files, so they definitely had some other
        version of code in them.

        Rich

        Message 3 of 6 , May 29 3:30 AM
          That's really bizarre, I can't think what the difference might be to
          change the underscore...perhaps it was the last change I made and I
          didn't set the file section hex and the copy at home to the same
          version. I thought I had learned that lesson by now from the B7971
          version !

          At least we know the version in the files section is working. What I
          might do in the coming weeks is produce another version with a
          second letter font. I don't think there is enough space in internal
          memory but if there is I will combine the them. I could lose one of
          the number fonts like the bargraph and even the nixie display, these
          are not really relevanmt to the segmented displays we're using.

          If anyone has any ideas for another letter font please feel free to
          propose it.

          By the way Rich, if you have no objections, would you be willing to
          share your FLW project code in the files section' _support files and
          projects', It's just a thought, I saw your message on Neonixie
          offering to share it.