Re: [smartsockets] Re: Difference between 7971 board and 1350 board?

  • Rich Gopstein
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27 7:25 AM
      The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against the V2
      hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them with
      the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change the "R"
      to have the missing horizontal segment.

      Rich

      Message 2 of 6 , May 27 3:17 PM
        Is it missing, really ? I like the retro look and made it that way
        deliberately

        Are you able to sort out the new font yourself ?

        If not I'll see what i can do this week, else you could redefine a
        UDC in the meantime

        I can't think why you got an underscore problem with the code on the
        IC's, and I can only think it could have been a dirty contact in the
        socket because there is only one version of software for the ZM1350
        sockets, and when I checked it this afternoon it worked as it was
        designed to do.

        Which version of B7971 sockets were you using ? My only other thought
        was that if you ave a very early B7971 version the underscore comes
        on immediately after the command instructing them to come on is set,
        but in the later versions, and the ZM1350 version the underscore
        comes on at the next character transition. It had to be changed due
        to some problems with the original version which occureed due to bad
        data handling

        Chris

        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

        > The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against
        the V2
        > hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them
        with
        > the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change
        the "R"
        > to have the missing horizontal segment.
        >
        > Rich
        >

        > Chris wrote:
        >
        > > Hello paul,
        > > I'll look into it here. The ZM1350 sockets use the same
        instruction
        > > handling code as the B7971 sockets and therefore they should
        work. You
        > > could try debugging by removing the controller from it's socket,
        > > disconnecting the serial line and putting 5V onto the IC socket
        pins
        > > checking each segment in turn. If the underscore segment lights
        during
        > > that test the problem is definately code related.
        > >
        > > Please let me know if you find something wrong with the hardware
        if you
        > > don't hear back from me first
        > >
        > > Chris

      • Rich Gopstein
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28 6:32 AM
          The retro-R looks cool, but I think full-R goes better with the other
          letters. Personal preference :)
          I was able to change it in the hex code (and I learned how lookup tables
          are implemented in PICs in the process).

          These PICs were the last four you sent a couple of weeks ago - but you
          said that those 7971 boards were prototypes or something. The PICs must
          have had old code in them. Updating the code to the posted version fixed
          the problem, so I'm happy. It was definitely a code problem - all four
          7971 boards had it, none of the 1350's did. Also - the chips failed to
          verify against the posted hex files, so they definitely had some other
          version of code in them.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 6 , May 29 3:30 AM
            That's really bizarre, I can't think what the difference might be to
            change the underscore...perhaps it was the last change I made and I
            didn't set the file section hex and the copy at home to the same
            version. I thought I had learned that lesson by now from the B7971
            version !

            At least we know the version in the files section is working. What I
            might do in the coming weeks is produce another version with a
            second letter font. I don't think there is enough space in internal
            memory but if there is I will combine the them. I could lose one of
            the number fonts like the bargraph and even the nixie display, these
            are not really relevanmt to the segmented displays we're using.

            If anyone has any ideas for another letter font please feel free to
            propose it.

            By the way Rich, if you have no objections, would you be willing to
            share your FLW project code in the files section' _support files and
            projects', It's just a thought, I saw your message on Neonixie
            offering to share it.