Using other VFD tubes with the IV17 Smartsockets

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2012
      I can recall being asked if I will be releasing a kit for use with any other IV-xx VFD tubes.

      The current kit supports probably any wire ended VFD tube, such as IV-3, IV-6 and IV-11. (I'm fantasising to think if the IV-18 or IV-21 could be used too...)

      The only component substitution required will be to change the filament resistors to provide the correct filament current.

      The Smartsockets already have a 7-seg font built in so wiring up the relevant segments to match those of the IV-17 would men that they work immediately (witha few crossed wires under the tubes0

      if you want to take it one step further and uncross those wires you could put any wire from the 'new' vfd tubes into any hole for the IV-17 tubes and make use of the user defined character function to reprogramming the driver outputs. That's all very simple stuff to do.