Re: Difference between 7971 board and 1350 board?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2007
      Hello paul,
      I'll look into it here. The ZM1350 sockets use the same instruction
      handling code as the B7971 sockets and therefore they should work. You
      could try debugging by removing the controller from it's socket,
      disconnecting the serial line and putting 5V onto the IC socket pins
      checking each segment in turn. If the underscore segment lights during
      that test the problem is definately code related.

      Please let me know if you find something wrong with the hardware if you
      don't hear back from me first

      Chris

      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

      > I built a four letter word generator using a PIC and four zm1350
      boards.
      > Since I now have two 7971 boards, I swapped them in place of two of
      the
      > 1350 boards - just to see if they worked. Strangely, I get the
      cursor
      > on both of the 7971 displays, but not on the 1350 displays. I was
      > planning on doing some debugging, but I thought I'd check to see if
      > anyone might have an idea why.
      >
      > Rich

    • Rich Gopstein
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2007
        The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against the V2
        hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them with
        the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change the "R"
        to have the missing horizontal segment.

        Rich

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2007
          Is it missing, really ? I like the retro look and made it that way
          deliberately

          Are you able to sort out the new font yourself ?

          If not I'll see what i can do this week, else you could redefine a
          UDC in the meantime

          I can't think why you got an underscore problem with the code on the
          IC's, and I can only think it could have been a dirty contact in the
          socket because there is only one version of software for the ZM1350
          sockets, and when I checked it this afternoon it worked as it was
          designed to do.

          Which version of B7971 sockets were you using ? My only other thought
          was that if you ave a very early B7971 version the underscore comes
          on immediately after the command instructing them to come on is set,
          but in the later versions, and the ZM1350 version the underscore
          comes on at the next character transition. It had to be changed due
          to some problems with the original version which occureed due to bad
          data handling

          Chris

          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

          > The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against
          the V2
          > hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them
          with
          > the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change
          the "R"
          > to have the missing horizontal segment.
          >
          > Rich
          >

          > Chris wrote:
          >
          > > Hello paul,
          > > I'll look into it here. The ZM1350 sockets use the same
          instruction
          > > handling code as the B7971 sockets and therefore they should
          work. You
          > > could try debugging by removing the controller from it's socket,
          > > disconnecting the serial line and putting 5V onto the IC socket
          pins
          > > checking each segment in turn. If the underscore segment lights
          during
          > > that test the problem is definately code related.
          > >
          > > Please let me know if you find something wrong with the hardware
          if you
          > > don't hear back from me first
          > >
          > > Chris

        • Rich Gopstein
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2007
            The retro-R looks cool, but I think full-R goes better with the other
            letters. Personal preference :)
            I was able to change it in the hex code (and I learned how lookup tables
            are implemented in PICs in the process).

            These PICs were the last four you sent a couple of weeks ago - but you
            said that those 7971 boards were prototypes or something. The PICs must
            have had old code in them. Updating the code to the posted version fixed
            the problem, so I'm happy. It was definitely a code problem - all four
            7971 boards had it, none of the 1350's did. Also - the chips failed to
            verify against the posted hex files, so they definitely had some other
            version of code in them.

            Rich

            Message 5 of 6 , May 29, 2007
              That's really bizarre, I can't think what the difference might be to
              change the underscore...perhaps it was the last change I made and I
              didn't set the file section hex and the copy at home to the same
              version. I thought I had learned that lesson by now from the B7971
              version !

              At least we know the version in the files section is working. What I
              might do in the coming weeks is produce another version with a
              second letter font. I don't think there is enough space in internal
              memory but if there is I will combine the them. I could lose one of
              the number fonts like the bargraph and even the nixie display, these
              are not really relevanmt to the segmented displays we're using.

              If anyone has any ideas for another letter font please feel free to
              propose it.

              By the way Rich, if you have no objections, would you be willing to
              share your FLW project code in the files section' _support files and
              projects', It's just a thought, I saw your message on Neonixie
              offering to share it.