Difference between 7971 board and 1350 board?

  • Rich Gopstein
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2007
      I built a four letter word generator using a PIC and four zm1350 boards.
      Since I now have two 7971 boards, I swapped them in place of two of the
      1350 boards - just to see if they worked. Strangely, I get the cursor
      on both of the 7971 displays, but not on the 1350 displays. I was
      planning on doing some debugging, but I thought I'd check to see if
      anyone might have an idea why.

      Rich
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2007
        Hello paul,
        I'll look into it here. The ZM1350 sockets use the same instruction
        handling code as the B7971 sockets and therefore they should work. You
        could try debugging by removing the controller from it's socket,
        disconnecting the serial line and putting 5V onto the IC socket pins
        checking each segment in turn. If the underscore segment lights during
        that test the problem is definately code related.

        Please let me know if you find something wrong with the hardware if you
        don't hear back from me first

        Chris

        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

        > I built a four letter word generator using a PIC and four zm1350
        boards.
        > Since I now have two 7971 boards, I swapped them in place of two of
        the
        > 1350 boards - just to see if they worked. Strangely, I get the
        cursor
        > on both of the 7971 displays, but not on the 1350 displays. I was
        > planning on doing some debugging, but I thought I'd check to see if
        > anyone might have an idea why.
        >
        > Rich

      • Rich Gopstein
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2007
          The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against the V2
          hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them with
          the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change the "R"
          to have the missing horizontal segment.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2007
            Is it missing, really ? I like the retro look and made it that way
            deliberately

            Are you able to sort out the new font yourself ?

            If not I'll see what i can do this week, else you could redefine a
            UDC in the meantime

            I can't think why you got an underscore problem with the code on the
            IC's, and I can only think it could have been a dirty contact in the
            socket because there is only one version of software for the ZM1350
            sockets, and when I checked it this afternoon it worked as it was
            designed to do.

            Which version of B7971 sockets were you using ? My only other thought
            was that if you ave a very early B7971 version the underscore comes
            on immediately after the command instructing them to come on is set,
            but in the later versions, and the ZM1350 version the underscore
            comes on at the next character transition. It had to be changed due
            to some problems with the original version which occureed due to bad
            data handling

            Chris

            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

            > The hardware checked out, but the 16F690 failed to verify against
            the V2
            > hex file... I'm not sure what they're running, but I reburned them
            with
            > the correct version and they're fine now. Next step is to change
            the "R"
            > to have the missing horizontal segment.
            >
            > Rich
            >

            > Chris wrote:
            >
            > > Hello paul,
            > > I'll look into it here. The ZM1350 sockets use the same
            instruction
            > > handling code as the B7971 sockets and therefore they should
            work. You
            > > could try debugging by removing the controller from it's socket,
            > > disconnecting the serial line and putting 5V onto the IC socket
            pins
            > > checking each segment in turn. If the underscore segment lights
            during
            > > that test the problem is definately code related.
            > >
            > > Please let me know if you find something wrong with the hardware
            if you
            > > don't hear back from me first
            > >
            > > Chris

          • Rich Gopstein
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2007
              The retro-R looks cool, but I think full-R goes better with the other
              letters. Personal preference :)
              I was able to change it in the hex code (and I learned how lookup tables
              are implemented in PICs in the process).

              These PICs were the last four you sent a couple of weeks ago - but you
              said that those 7971 boards were prototypes or something. The PICs must
              have had old code in them. Updating the code to the posted version fixed
              the problem, so I'm happy. It was definitely a code problem - all four
              7971 boards had it, none of the 1350's did. Also - the chips failed to
              verify against the posted hex files, so they definitely had some other
              version of code in them.

              Rich

              Message 6 of 6 , May 29, 2007
                That's really bizarre, I can't think what the difference might be to
                change the underscore...perhaps it was the last change I made and I
                didn't set the file section hex and the copy at home to the same
                version. I thought I had learned that lesson by now from the B7971
                version !

                At least we know the version in the files section is working. What I
                might do in the coming weeks is produce another version with a
                second letter font. I don't think there is enough space in internal
                memory but if there is I will combine the them. I could lose one of
                the number fonts like the bargraph and even the nixie display, these
                are not really relevanmt to the segmented displays we're using.

                If anyone has any ideas for another letter font please feel free to
                propose it.

                By the way Rich, if you have no objections, would you be willing to
                share your FLW project code in the files section' _support files and
                projects', It's just a thought, I saw your message on Neonixie
                offering to share it.