Merry Christmas

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2011
      Unless we speak before tomorrow, I would just like to wish all group members a Happy Christmas and thank you for your continued support and interest in these projects.

      It is 10 years ago that I began my first experiments with nixie tubes, when I decided that I wanted to make a nixie clock for my father's 60th birthday present. So, beginning in November I ordered tubes, some PICs, downloaded Microchip's MPLAB for the first time and taught myself assembly language for PICs. It was a steep learning curve considering the 10 week deadline, but I couldn't afford a higher level language so battled on.

      Then my interest continued with an invite from Ray Weisling to join the first nixie group, NEONIXIE-L on Yahoo, when he saw me selling clock number 2 on eBay, which I made in order to pay for both clocks.

      It is nice to see so many of those members are also here, and with you there is also a huge number of new people with an interest in nixies. It is nice to know that so many people share an interest with yourself !

      Although I built the first clock alone, it is true to say that I would not have improved my skills or opened my mind to some very interesting ideas had it not been for my membership of that group, and the support, the nagging, challenges and humour shared among all members there and now here.

      I seem to have taken those ideas sideways into developing the Smartsocket concept, originally for neon based tubes and now for the IV-17 vfd tubes which I first began experimenting with in 2007. (it has been a slow project !)

      Without feedback from users I very much doubt that I would have been able to focus on and direct the projects to their current iterations.

      John Smout has left a great project in the files section for use by all members using neon based display devices, which works very well.

      I have also learnt about managing different (but very similar) versions of code. Working closely with some of you to try to incorporate features and facilitate your ideas has meant rapid development, sometimes with errors in coding which did not become apparent until a later version highlighted the error.

      However, things seem to have settled down more recently and I don't know of any bugs with any code. There is a demand for a test function of the IV-17 devices. Maybe the reason I didn't see the need at first has been because I don't have any problems (not for any other reason than I already have devices which are proven). I will try to produce more than just a segment test confidence function.

      What's next ?
      The strong interest in an IV-17 vfd based device has got me looking at writing a word generating device, along the lines of a FLW, but I like the idea of incorporating a word ladder selection routine too. I have already tried writing sample code for this and I like the challenge ! This would be a standalone device, based on the Explorer kits, with a rotary encoder for use as the menu system navigation and parameter setting input device. Anybody in possession of an explorer kit already will be pleased to know it will be backwards compatible, and will be available as a preprogrammed pic on it's own, if required.

      Once again, thanks to all of you who have contributed already. Your input has been very important to me as you can see.

      Merry Christmas and the best of the season to you all and your families
      Chris
    • nystrom sture
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2011
        Merry Christmas to you too and the rest of group.

        You are doing a great job an it is very well done. You have spent many hours
        of work wich you share with everybody!

        Greetings, Sture