Re: Smartsockets for AVR Processors

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2011
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "curwenx" <curwenx@...> wrote:

      > The PIC chip is controlled using an UART right? I have plans to add a slave mode to my clock kit as well (as an optional firmware), and that is what I thought would be a cool use of smartsockets. My plan is to write it as an I2C slave, but adding serial would be simple too.

      Yes that sounds cool.

      > If I do start a port I think it would be best to do it in generic C to be easily portable to just about any platform: If I understand your code correctly, it should be possible to make everything generic, and then have a runslice function called from a uC timer that would take care of display animation.

      Yes that's how it's done.

      > Is there a specification for the smartsockets protocol available somewhere?

      Not an official spec. The command list is in the files section for the relevant smartsocket devices. I usually specify a 5mS period wait after sending a command before sending another command, but for a lot of the commands this is very pessimistic and most commands can be sent serially with a much smaller delay than 5mS

      There are no start characters or end characters, the data packet is trapped and only valid data is interpretted. There is no checksum
      function, but I have had no data corruption issues. A checksum function could be added easily and users can be given the option to use it or not, I suppose.