Re: IV-17 Kinda working - part 2!

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2011
      Hi Chris,

      Thanks for the update on the new software, its sounds like it will fix a lot of the issues i am having at the moment.
      The new features also sound cool, look forward to trying them out.

      Having the baud rate at 9600 sounds like a good idea, better for compatibility and more robust. That will also make it easier when i update the text to smartsockets program, the UART settings can stay hardcoded in the program, instead of the user having to select the rate (depending on whether they are using the IV-17 SS or older SS's).

      I have had a look at the schematic in the new assembly manual and compared it to the old schematic and from what i can see, the connections between the pic and HV5812 for the strobe and clock pins need to be swapped around.

      Another change is pin 24 (RB3) used to go to pin 13 (blanking) of the HV5812, now its not connected to anything and the blanking pin is connected to GND. Is this correct?

      Cheers.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2011
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

        > Hi Chris,
        >
        > Another change is pin 24 (RB3) used to go to pin 13 (blanking) of the HV5812, now its not connected to anything and the blanking pin is connected to GND. Is this correct?
        >
        > Cheers.
        > Simon

        That's correct, although I connected the blanking pin of the HV5812 to RB3 pin in previous versions, it was never used. I had anticipated using blanking to control display brightness by PWMing the blanking pin at one point.
        At the moment there is no blanking but i didn't like the strobing effects I was getting PWMing the blanking pin as a result of beat frequencies related to the muxing frequency
        i have always maintained the idea that I would like to add brightness control, and if I do, it will probably be a software implemented routine because I will be able to adjust the muxing time-space ratio to dim the display in a manner which i hope won't cause any nasty flicker or other artifacts.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2011
          Thanks Chris.

          Are these two features implemented in the current firmware?

          My PCB has pin 14 tied to GND, if the features are not implemented will this need to be left floating instead of tied to GND?

          Cheers

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 14, 2011
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Chris.
            >
            > Are these two features implemented in the current firmware?

            > My PCB has pin 14 tied to GND, if the features are not implemented will this need to be left floating instead of tied to GND?
            >
            > Cheers
            > Simon

            Hi Simon, there was no need for these functions once I spun my own boards and bought in ready made 35V PSU's, so they are defunct.

            Pin 14 was a test mode feature, if you're tied it to ground I guess you don't even use it ! Display testing is now done by sending either a single 'V' (version display) or "ID" (enumerate and display)

            The information about the current operational modes and the schematic is in the manuals in the IV-17 files section.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2011
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Chris.
              >
              > Are these two features implemented in the current firmware?

              Having said no, I do have a version of code which does use these features if you want to spin your own supply. The code is good version 13 code which I produced for another group member recently.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 14, 2011
                Thanks Chris,

                I will stick with the latest version of code without these features and power the sockets with a separate supply.

                Cheers.