Digit rotation and reverse scrolling in IV-17

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2011
      I've just started to build a Christmas themed 'door welcome sign' and think the display would look interesting if some of the tubes could be mounted on their sides and some inverted too.

      This has led to 2 new Smartsocket functions on the IV-17 boards. 'Digit rotation' and 'Orientation compensation'.

      Each digit can now be rotated 90,180 or 270 degrees within the tube with a single comand. If the tubes are inverted, this would mean that the normal display direction would have to be reversed, as left becomes right and vice versa, hence the orientation compensation function to correct that.

      Normal bidirectional scrolling is still working as before.

      I hope to have made something to demonstrate this soon.

      Just by adding a g-sensor/position sensor to your host you could easily build a device now which can be physically turned over and the display will rotate within the activated segments within the tubes to compensate. It would be very easy to build a clock which will always display the time/date correctly, whichever way you stand it up.

      Due to the number of requests I have been receiving for IV-17 Smartsockets I am buying in some of the components I have been waiting to arrive, locally (at 4 times the price), and hope to have some kits ready to ship in the next few days.

      Thanks for your continued patience !