Re: [smartsockets] Re: IV-17 Smartsockets, first pictures

  • michail1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
      I believe there is also an Arduino with everything built into a single unit (except maybe the BT).

      Michail
      206-920-6312

      In a message dated 10/25/2011 2:11:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, nixotic1@... writes:
      I am thinking the Raspberry Pi will be an ideal candidate for this,
      with everything already on board. I know it's not out yet, but
      hopefully by the end of November it will be.
      http://www.raspberrypi.org/

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

        > I am thinking the Raspberry Pi will be an ideal candidate for this,
        > with everything already on board. I know it's not out yet, but
        > hopefully by the end of November it will be.
        > http://www.raspberrypi.org/
        >
        > John S

        I saw that earlier this year. It really is the doggies dooh-dahs isn't it.
        I really hope it does achieve one of it' smain aims which is to generate a lot of interest in making homebrew gadgets and gizmos for educational and recreational purposes.

        I've got a couple of these
        http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?keywords=DM180021
        but the price makes them suitable only for the most dedicated !

        I'm sure there are plenty of other options too.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
          On 25 Oct 2011, at 20:01, fixitsan2 wrote:
          > I saw that earlier this year. It really is the doggies dooh-dahs
          > isn't it.
          > I really hope it does achieve one of it' smain aims which is to
          > generate a lot of interest in making homebrew gadgets and gizmos
          > for educational and recreational purposes.

          Indeed it is the mutt's nuts. There are a bunch of 0.1" pins on the
          Pi board that are intended for general I/O use. The more expensive
          option with ethernet and double the memory will still be good value
          at 35 USD. The power supply is going to be a standard cheap mini USB
          5v laptop/mobile phone supply.

          I for one cannot wait to see the ingenuity people come up with once
          this hits the streets, very soon now. People carrying disposable PCs
          in their pockets, trying out all kinds of craziness.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2012
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>

            > I am thinking the Raspberry Pi will be an ideal candidate for this,
            > with everything already on board. I know it's not out yet, but
            > hopefully by the end of November it will be.
            > http://www.raspberrypi.org/
            >
            > John S

            Heads up, the first pre-production boards are on eBay

            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-beta-board-10-limited-series-10-/180786734741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a17baa695

            A limited batch of ten boards being sold to raise funds. If the project is a success or a failure, these boards will have historic value and maybe some bidders are speculating.
            the cheapest is about £550, the most expensive about £2100 at the time of this message.

            Apparently the production boards are due out next month

            Happy bidding, if you're lucky enough to be able to afford them !