Re: IV-17 Smartsockets, first pictures

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

      > Yeah!!!!
      >
      > Month or so? Well, waited this long.
      >
      > I like the idea of the smartsocket driver. Way kewl to have SSD and the
      > ethernet. Talk about a complete system. I am guessing that the driver
      > will be much later addon though.
      >
      > You thought about pricing yet for the iv17 smartsocket? Wondering if
      > you're going to keep it reasonable like the 7971 sockets.
      >
      > Michail
      > 206-920-

      The driver will be fun to develop. I have experience with SD cards and ethernet, also bluetooth and SMS. W

      SD cards and bluetooth interfaces are quite cheap, USB is more expensive, ethernet is more expensive than that and GSM/SMS more expensive still (unless you get a cheap mobile phone and dedicate it to the purpose)

      Another device I have always meant ot build is a universal RS232 data script player. This might form a part of the same project next, a device which reads an instruction script from an SD card and interprets the instructions in order to transmit coresponding serial data. I will investigate what is already in existence first.

      In terms of cost, I'll be as reasonable as I can afford to be, but I can't give you a price yet without knowing the cost of all components.
      For one IV-17 smartsocket kit the cost might be in the range of £20-£30 including everything except tubes.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
        On 25 Oct 2011, at 09:39, fixitsan2 wrote:

        > Another device I have always meant ot build is a universal RS232
        > data script player. This might form a part of the same project
        > next, a device which reads an instruction script from an SD card
        > and interprets the instructions in order to transmit coresponding
        > serial data. I will investigate what is already in existence first.

        I am thinking the Raspberry Pi will be an ideal candidate for this,
        with everything already on board. I know it's not out yet, but
        hopefully by the end of November it will be.
        http://www.raspberrypi.org/

        John S
      • michail1@aol.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

            > I am thinking the Raspberry Pi will be an ideal candidate for this,
            > with everything already on board. I know it's not out yet, but
            > hopefully by the end of November it will be.
            > http://www.raspberrypi.org/
            >
            > John S

            I saw that earlier this year. It really is the doggies dooh-dahs isn't it.
            I really hope it does achieve one of it' smain aims which is to generate a lot of interest in making homebrew gadgets and gizmos for educational and recreational purposes.

            I've got a couple of these
            http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?keywords=DM180021
            but the price makes them suitable only for the most dedicated !

            I'm sure there are plenty of other options too.

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 25, 2011
              On 25 Oct 2011, at 20:01, fixitsan2 wrote:
              > I saw that earlier this year. It really is the doggies dooh-dahs
              > isn't it.
              > I really hope it does achieve one of it' smain aims which is to
              > generate a lot of interest in making homebrew gadgets and gizmos
              > for educational and recreational purposes.

              Indeed it is the mutt's nuts. There are a bunch of 0.1" pins on the
              Pi board that are intended for general I/O use. The more expensive
              option with ethernet and double the memory will still be good value
              at 35 USD. The power supply is going to be a standard cheap mini USB
              5v laptop/mobile phone supply.

              I for one cannot wait to see the ingenuity people come up with once
              this hits the streets, very soon now. People carrying disposable PCs
              in their pockets, trying out all kinds of craziness.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2012
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>

                > I am thinking the Raspberry Pi will be an ideal candidate for this,
                > with everything already on board. I know it's not out yet, but
                > hopefully by the end of November it will be.
                > http://www.raspberrypi.org/
                >
                > John S

                Heads up, the first pre-production boards are on eBay

                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-beta-board-10-limited-series-10-/180786734741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a17baa695

                A limited batch of ten boards being sold to raise funds. If the project is a success or a failure, these boards will have historic value and maybe some bidders are speculating.
                the cheapest is about £550, the most expensive about £2100 at the time of this message.

                Apparently the production boards are due out next month

                Happy bidding, if you're lucky enough to be able to afford them !