IV-17, updated video and final testing comlete

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2011
      The Emerald isle was great, that Guiness definitely does taste better over there.

      Back to work though, I wanted to make sure that two interconnected Smartsockets communicated correctly and enumerated themselves automatically before I let myself feel confident.
      The updated video (much better quality thankfully) shows what I was able to do in a short while with 2 IV-17 units.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/28496053@N04/6278020080/in/photostream

      The unit on the left is supplying the 40V for the unit on the right also. The power interconnection pcb tracks are wider than usual to allow for several boards to be safely linked together while only being fed with power from one end of the array.

      The current demand for 2 units connected as per the video is 600mA at 5V.

      I think I have found a suitable, cost effective 40V supply alternative, which runs at 35V (!) which has good power capacity.

      I need to make a couple of small changes to the pcb because there are a couple of vias which are too close to pads for my liking, but that is trivial. all in all I was dreading this pcb stage but it seems that the hours spent tracing tracks out one by one, to verify them, has paid off.

      Now, I have 6 pairs of boards left from my prototype sample batch and nearly enough components to put 6 kits together, hopefully they will be available in the next week or two, followed by another batch a few weeks later

      The other thing which I need to get on top of is the documentation and kit building instructions, I've never really been good at that.

      Thanks to everyone who has managed to stay interested in this project, it has been too long in coming but there is almost nothing to stop it now, except maybe for tube availability. (I note that the Russian sellers have put the prices up recently, who knows how high they will rise ...)