Re: [smartsockets] Re: IV-17 Smartsockets

    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 17, 2011
      On 17 Oct 2011, at 10:23, fixitsan2 wrote:

      > Okay John, if you can find a way to thread the tubes into the
      > boards which is quick and easy i will even give you a set of boards
      > for free ! That is probably the hardest thing to do, the SMD
      > soldering is not too bad.

      I know what you mean. I sometimes work from front to back or back to
      front of the tube, trimming the leads on the diagonal with a pair of
      scissors before I attempt to insert. I can then thread the leads
      through in handed pairs as each pair is shorter than the last.

      Otherwise all you can do is hold the tube on a diagonal and attempt
      to insert in a similar way. But usually this method simply pings pins
      back out as you try to jiggle others in.

      I wonder if there is a slide-on jig that could be made, like a comb,
      that would allow the tube leads to be trimmed on the diagonal easily
      - I'll have a little thinkette about that.

      John S
    • michail1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 17, 2011
        I also would be interested in several kits as well.  ESPECIALLY if stackable (meaning if we could attach each 4 tube board together to run strings for text/signs, etc.

        Michail

        In a message dated 10/17/2011 4:45:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vankanma@... writes:
        If it helps your descision whether to jump in and make kits, I'm interested in 5 to 7 "four letter word" kits (tubeless) as I have the tubes.

        Mark
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 18, 2011
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:
          I sometimes work from front to back or back to
          > front of the tube, trimming the leads on the diagonal with a pair of
          > scissors before I attempt to insert. I can then thread the leads
          > through in handed pairs as each pair is shorter than the last.
          >
          > Otherwise all you can do is hold the tube on a diagonal and attempt
          > to insert in a similar way. But usually this method simply pings pins
          > back out as you try to jiggle others in.
          >
          > I wonder if there is a slide-on jig that could be made, like a comb,
          > that would allow the tube leads to be trimmed on the diagonal easily
          > - I'll have a little thinkette about that.
          >
          > John S

          I've thought about combing them straight, it will definitely make it easier.
          A jig would be great, a real luxury and might cost luxury prices to make. If I had retained the circular footprint then I could have had something made up, but the footprint on the board is rectangular.

          The easiest way I have found so far is to use snipe nosed pliers to thread each wire down each hole, it seems to work best for now
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 18, 2011
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Van Kannel" <vankanma@...> wrote:

            > If it helps your descision whether to jump in and make kits, I'm interested in 5 to 7 "four letter word" kits (tubeless) as I have the tubes.
            >
            > Mark

            Mark, I don't have any FLW drivers yet.
            The Smartsocket interfaces 4 IV17 tubes to a serial data stream. Once the kit is finalised I will look towards making something to drive the Smartsocket in order to emulate a FLW.

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 18, 2011
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

              > I also would be interested in several kits as well. ESPECIALLY if
              > stackable (meaning if we could attach each 4 tube board together to run strings
              > for text/signs, etc.
              >

              > Michail

              Michail
              The kits stack.
              The PCBs have been designed so that when the kits are side by side uniform tube spacing is maintained.
              You can stack upto 252 tubes this way

              Chris
            • Garrett Stewart
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 18, 2011
                I have a question regarding the IV-17 SS, I know that it is designed for
                and more expressly fits the footprint of the IV-17, but given that an
                IV-12 has similar specifications, would it be possible to utilize the
                IV-17 SS with IV-12 tubes (I know they wouldn't fit in the sockets
                themselves, but that can be fixed with some rewiring.)? I'm kind of new
                to all of this, but looking at the specifications I don't think it would
                be impossible.
              • michail1@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 18, 2011
                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Garrett Stewart <zero@...> wrote:

                    > I have a question regarding the IV-17 SS, I know that it is designed for
                    > and more expressly fits the footprint of the IV-17, but given that an
                    > IV-12 has similar specifications, would it be possible to utilize the
                    > IV-17 SS with IV-12 tubes (I know they wouldn't fit in the sockets
                    > themselves, but that can be fixed with some rewiring.)? I'm kind of new
                    > to all of this, but looking at the specifications I don't think it would
                    > be impossible.

                    Hello Garrett
                    It is perfectly possible to modify the existing IV17SS to run other VFD tubes, it requires a different tube deck PCB. It's no biggy to do it, I just don't know when I will get around to doing it.

                    Great idea though, I could use a standard control board and have interchangeable display boards, then it would simply be a case of loading the controller with the appropriate software.

                    If you're looking for an IV-12 project in a rush, there are some good ones already, such as
                    http://axio.ms/projects/russian_lighty_uppy_thing/

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 18, 2011
                      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Garrett Stewart <zero@...> wrote:

                      > I have a question regarding the IV-17 SS, I know that it is designed for
                      > and more expressly fits the footprint of the IV-17, but given that an
                      > IV-12 has similar specifications, would it be possible to utilize the
                      > IV-17 SS with IV-12 tubes (I know they wouldn't fit in the sockets
                      > themselves, but that can be fixed with some rewiring.)? I'm kind of new
                      > to all of this, but looking at the specifications I don't think it would
                      > be impossible.

                      Hello Garrett
                      It is perfectly possible to modify the existing IV17SS to run other VFD tubes, it requires a different tube deck PCB. It's no biggy to do it, I just don't know when I will get around to doing it.

                      Great idea though, I could use a standard control board and have interchangeable display boards, then it would simply be a case of loading the controller with the appropriate software.

                      If you're looking for an IV-12 project in a rush, there are some good ones already, such as
                      http://axio.ms/projects/russian_lighty_uppy_thing/

                      Chris
                    • black_petal
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 19, 2011

                        you said you had some IV-17 tubes also are you going to sell kits with tubes ?

                        thanks
                        mike

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 19, 2011
                          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "black_petal" <logan714@...> wrote:

                          > Chris
                          >
                          > you said you had some IV-17 tubes also are you going to sell kits with tubes ?
                          >
                          > thanks
                          > mike

                          Yes Mike :)
                          I have a few tubes, I will be selling them soon.

                          Michail, I have 75 pairs of PCB's which just arrived :)
                          I am stocking up with parts and just need to wait another week or so before the last few parts arrive in order to make up kits.

                          The parts I am waiting for are pin headers and receptacles, which will allow the two boards to be seperated and reconnected without desoldering anything.

                          I'm also waiting for new programmer. A pickit 2 clone arrived this week and did not recognise any device I tried to program, I put it down to bad luck and bought another from the same seller while the other was going back for a refund. But he refused to send it to me because he 'suspected my circuit was faulty'.

                          I then got a lecture about the importance of fitting a 22uF cap across the supply pins when programming (Yes, really !). I suggested he refunded my money if he was going to bicker over the second one. He refunded it, but still bickered.

                          I'm just waiting for a genuine Mchip Pickit 3 to arrive any day.

                          Chris
                        • black_petal
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 19, 2011
                            cool Chris
                            as soon as i get some$$ i love to get some tubes and boards

                            mike