Re: IV-17 SS kinda working!

    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2011
      Thats some progress, Simon. I'm pleased you've got scrolling to work.

      I've just downloaded the same software from the files section to my breadboard and both PWM control pots work as they should. Have you tried measuring the voltage from the pots at the pic inputs to make sure it is varying as the pots turn. Maybe the frequency pot has lost it's ground connection ?

      The decimal points are driven from pins 25 and 26. These are active high, so you need a suitable buffer or a pair of transistors typical of those used to drive nixie tube anodes, an MPSA42/MPSA92 pair.
      I don't have the time to draw a schematic now, so referencing the schematic on the last page of this manual....
      http://www.ledsales.com.au/pdf/frank2_clock_kit.pdf

      ...zoom in to the top left corner and build Q9,Q3,R7,R13 for each of the two decimal point lines. Drive the bases of the MPSA42's (Q9) form the pic via a series 22k resistor (10k-33k should work). Change R13 to 100k and try that. Instead of driving a nixie anode you will instead connect the line to the decimal points of one group , right or left. Probably R22 should be much lower, like 1k. If it doesn't work first time try raising the 10k value of R7 until it works. I used to use the transistor pair, before I used the transistors for something else which is why the values are sketchy.

      As for the clock function, that function got backbenched and needs some work still. It might work if you use decimal numbers where yoiu see numbers in the command structure but I can't say for sure what will happen, if anything.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 9 , May 19, 2011
        Simon, apologies, I changed the link and forgot to change the reference to it (working in too much of a rush...)

        The area of the diagram concerned is top right.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2011
          Hi Chris,

          I understood which part of the schematic you were referring to, thanks for the clarification.

          The decimal points are working, although slightly duller compared to the other segments. The values of the resistors I am using are 33k for the bases of the MPS42's, 100k from the collector of the MPS42 to the base of the MPS92. 10k's between the base of the MPS92 and the 40V supply and 1k between the collector of the MPS92 and the left or right group of decimal points. I also tried without the 1k and the brightness seems the same.

          Now, I have gone and done something stupid and think I have damaged the PIC chip and maybe the HV5812! I was sticking 12V into pin 14 of the PIC (to illuminate all the segments) by accident and now i cant get anything to come up except for the decimal points! So i will get another PIC in and get it working again. I will then update you on where it is all at.

          Cheers.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 27, 2011
            Such is the way of progress I suppose. We've all been there, I'm sure of that !

            I'm wondering if changing the values of the resitors will help you to increase the brightness of the DP's. Perhaps raising the value of the 10k resitors and/or reducing the value of the 100k resistors. I didn't calculate the resitor values to check the biasing of the transistors is correct, merely scaled down a circuit for a higher voltage. If I get around to it I'll have another look at that.
            I would like to get them working well because they are a very cheap optionfor driving the segments too, 22 pairs of transistors with accompanying resistors plus a pic would be all that would be required if using the generic circuit version of the software.