Re: [smartsockets] Re: Files section tidy

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12 7:35 AM
      On 8 Apr 2007, at 10:29, Chris wrote:
      > Hello John,
      > The document you need is in the 'B7971' section, called "B7971 Smart
      > sockets.doc"
      OK thanks, I got it.

      Documentation says:

      The User Definable Characters...

      Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
      program all characters between 0 and 58, as well as the characters
      between 58 and 126.

      Is this true, Chris? What happens if you redefine the exclamation
      mark or the return key? I think we should be told.

      John
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12 4:41 PM
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
        wrote:

        > On 8 Apr 2007, at 10:29, Chris wrote:
        > > Hello John,
        > > The document you need is in the 'B7971' section, called "B7971
        Smart
        > > sockets.doc"
        > OK thanks, I got it.
        >
        > Documentation says:
        >
        > The User Definable Characters...
        >
        > Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
        > program all characters between 0 and 58, as well as the
        characters
        > between 58 and 126.
        >
        > Is this true, Chris? What happens if you redefine the exclamation
        > mark or the return key? I think we should be told.
        >
        > John

        Probably a few words on the subject are required in the manual, but
        technically, you can redefine them the same as you can for other
        characters.

        What you may have difficulty in doing is in getting the character to
        appear on the display device, because there is active filtering for
        those two characters which catches them and acts upon them before
        the display routine gets a chance to interpret them.

        A couple of changes to the software could be made by anyone unhappy
        with the situation, simply by redesignating the end of message
        character to a character which is not available for redefinition
        under the protocol of the UDC system, such as character 254

        The only reason to use the enter key as the end of messagenotifier
        was so that I could test the sockets by hooking them up to the PC
        using Hyperterminal to send messages directly to them, where quite
        obviously the enter key makes most sense in this situation.

        It is simple enough to change the EOM character in the source code,
        and the same applies for the exclamation mark.

        Personally I am loathed to change the EOM to be anything other than
        the enter key because I am still using it, but there is no reason
        why anyone else has to , simply by modifying the source code you can
        use any other characters instead.

        As it stands, I avoid using the enter key and the exclamation mark
        for anything other than their designated purposes as per the
        documentation. I'll add a few words to the documentation, thanks for
        the reminder.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12 4:41 PM

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13 7:55 AM
            On 13 Apr 2007, at 00:41, Chris wrote:
            > As it stands, I avoid using the enter key and the exclamation mark
            > for anything other than their designated purposes as per the
            > documentation. I'll add a few words to the documentation, thanks
            > for the reminder.
            I do think this would help the newcomer Chris. There is enough to
            fret about for us normal mortals without being unsure of what does
            what in your PICs.

            I have just done a thorough test of the UDCs, every location from 0
            to 126, except of course for 13-return and 33-exclamation mark. If
            you try and display UDC 13 or 33 the system ignores the message.
            Whatever displayed before is still there. Good.

            All works as expected except for ascii locations 0 to 9. I redefined
            these but when I address them, they display 0 to 9 and are not my
            definitions. Of course normally 0 to 9 would be ascii 48 to 57, so
            somewhere along the line they are getting translated to their ascii
            equivalent.

            To test the UDCs again, I defined another set from 0 to 19 and put an
            underscore on every character. Sure enough 0 to 9 don't define, or if
            they do, they don't display, which is probably more likely the case.

            I don't suggest you do anything about this Chris, just change the
            documentation to say:

            Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
            program all characters between 10 and 58, as well as the characters
            between 58 and 126. Please note that ascii 13 and 33 are reserved by
            the smartsocket system and will not display.

            One other thing I think you should say is that if you are sending a
            batch of UDCs to the sockets, you need to put a reasonable delay
            between each set, to allow the sockets to receive and write to their
            eeproms each time. This caught me out. At one point I had all
            locations programmed with every segment on! All I did was change the
            gap between each set and all was well.

            The other thing I found was that to program all UDC locations a
            16F628a didn't have enough space, a 16F648a does.

            The PicBasic code I used for my 0-19 test is in a folder here:

            Regards,

            John
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14 9:12 AM
              wrote:

              > On 13 Apr 2007, at 00:41, Chris wrote:
              > > As it stands, I avoid using the enter key and the exclamation
              mark
              > > for anything other than their designated purposes as per the
              > > documentation. I'll add a few words to the documentation, thanks
              > > for the reminder.
              > I do think this would help the newcomer Chris. There is enough to
              > fret about for us normal mortals without being unsure of what does
              > what in your PICs.
              >
              > I have just done a thorough test of the UDCs, every location from
              0
              > to 126, except of course for 13-return and 33-exclamation mark. If
              > you try and display UDC 13 or 33 the system ignores the message.
              > Whatever displayed before is still there. Good.
              >
              > All works as expected except for ascii locations 0 to 9. I
              redefined
              > these but when I address them, they display 0 to 9 and are not my
              > definitions. Of course normally 0 to 9 would be ascii 48 to 57, so
              > somewhere along the line they are getting translated to their
              ascii
              > equivalent.
              >
              > To test the UDCs again, I defined another set from 0 to 19 and put
              an
              > underscore on every character. Sure enough 0 to 9 don't define, or
              if
              > they do, they don't display, which is probably more likely the case.
              >
              > I don't suggest you do anything about this Chris, just change the
              > documentation to say:
              >
              > Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
              > program all characters between 10 and 58, as well as the
              characters
              > between 58 and 126. Please note that ascii 13 and 33 are reserved
              by
              > the smartsocket system and will not display.

              I'll look into it John, you're quite right to mention it and I hadn't
              thought about it before, but not only do the exclamation and enter
              characters have special meanings, so do the numeric ascii chars.
              If there is enough program memory I'll try a version which ignores
              numeric ascii chars if the current font is set to UDC.

              > One other thing I think you should say is that if you are sending
              > batch of UDCs to the sockets, you need to put a reasonable delay
              > between each set, to allow the sockets to receive and write to
              their
              > eeproms each time. This caught me out. At one point I had all
              > locations programmed with every segment on! All I did was change
              the
              > gap between each set and all was well.

              Ah yep, that's a good point, I will have to mention that at some
              point !

              > The other thing I found was that to program all UDC locations a
              > 16F628a didn't have enough space, a 16F648a does.

              I take it that you are talking about storing a program on a program
              driver chip which sends serial data to the sockets, and not the
              sockets themselves, as then you wouldn't have enough IO either !

              Thanks for posting your test code,