Re: IV-17 Smartsocket imminent announcement

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "guus.assmann@..." <guus.assmann@...> wrote:

      > Is the schematic diagram of these smartsockets available as well?
      > Sure would help when trying to buils one.

      I've put all of the relevant detail in the file I uploaded, called 'README.TXT'
      It is in the IV-17 smartsocket section of the files section, together with the preliminary manual, a schematic of the circuit is in the manual. *Please* read the readme first though :)
    • michail1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2011
        Has anyone started mass production of the boards/kits yet?   TaylorE?

        Michail

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 27, 2011
          On 27 Jan 2011, at 14:41, michail1@... wrote:

          > Has anyone started mass production of the boards/kits yet? TaylorE?
          >
          > Michail

          I don't think anyone has built a clock yet, apart from Chris's
          prototype. Or am I wrong?

          John S
        • michail1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 27, 2011
            John,

            I was kidding.   It was more of a hint. :)

            Now waiting for it to be on tayloredge now.

            Michail

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
              Just to say that the board layout in the IV-17 section was produced by John, and pertains to a previous version of the proposed device which produced a PWM output. I will see what i can do to slip the PWM control code back in to the design. At worst I will try to add something which allows seperate control of the frequency and period via two pots, as proposed previously.

              Since I started this project a couple of years ago it seems that the driver IC might not be readily available, although I think Mouser stock plenty. The driver IC used can be substituted by any similar device with _at_least_ 20 outputs. If you have to use a 27 output device (MAX6932 ?) then you will just have a few unused pins and everything else will work as normal.

              The commands in the manual need to be updated to reflect the removal of the "$B7" header, as well as a few other functional differences and I am working towards bringing that up to date as soon as possible. I'm also going to do a little more work with the time display because at the moment it only uses 4 tubes and I am thinking that something which gives a bit more freedom for displays with >4 tubes would be better.

              As it stands, the device accomodates at least 8 numeric fonts, an upper case and lower case English alphabet, a few punctuation marks and at least 15 transition effects so there is already more functionality than previous smartsockets. The number of UDC's have been reduced to 100, but that could increase with a bit more effort.

              The next micro in this series which is due for release soon, the PIC18F26k22 has twice the RAM memory and more eeprom so a few more features could easily be added when that one comes along.

              For the filament supply I have had absolutely no issues using dc via a limiting resistor on the +5V supply. There is no visible gradation in brightness across the tube, perhaps because the filament wires are not exactly linear but are folded. In one display of mine I have probably put several hundred hours onto a pair of IV-17 and IV-4 tubes sharing the same display and neither of them show much difference in terms of brightness either between tube types or inside individual tubes.

              Please keep me posted if you start to build one of these and you find any errors, ommissions or anything which seems to be unstable and I will do my best to attend to it quickly.

              Chris

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2011
                Chris, great work on getting the IV-4/IV-17 Smartsockets to this working point. I can't wait to get one (or more) of these working!

                I have a few other projects on the go at the moment, but hopefully when I have some more time, I can put some together and also update the Text to Smartsockets program to work with the new commands.

                Keep up the good work.
                Cheers.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Cheers Simon.

                  If anyone is interested, when I was looking to build kits up for this project i wrote a few emails to tube suppliers which frequenetly advertise these tubes on ebay.
                  I estimate there are at least 1000 tubes in the regular seller's stocks, so unless someone does a production run of an electronic Scrabble game there should be a good few to go around.

                  Chris