Files section tidy

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2007
      The files section was becoming a mess, with two versions of B7971
      sockets and the ZM1350 socket adding to the confusion. Hopefully I
      will be soon adding the B5971 to the project too. If anyone has some
      B8971's and feel the need to device schematic and a board layout
      then feel free, because the only thing stopping me is time at the
      moment, and no B8971 to perform the final testing with.

      I have tried to set up the directories to be as logical as possible
      and to make finding your information as easy as possible.

      The latest file is a photo tutorial for building up the ZM1350 Smart
      Sockets. A B7971 version will also be added soon, and the 'operator
      manual' will be edited to make it read more easily.

      Should you think there is a need for another section to be added to
      any document or file folder,please drop me a note and I will add it
      to the relevant section.

      Please remember that there is also a photo section to the group so do
      not hesitate to start your own photo directory and post some images
      of your handywork. Failing that, please consider adding a link to
      your photos and projects in the links section of the group.

      Photo section.....

      Links section.....

      We all work in different ways, some people can work from a schematic
      drawn on an envelope, such as Sir Alec Issigonis, and the rest of us
      need lots of clear information, so to that end if you think something
      should be made clearer, or edited, changed, updated or even deleted,
      please say something to me about it if you don't take it on board and
      begin to make the changes yourself !

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
        On 7 Apr 2007, at 08:51, Chris wrote:

        > The files section was becoming a mess, with two versions of B7971
        > sockets and the ZM1350 socket adding to the confusion.
        OK. But I couldn't find the smartsocket documentation. I think they
        were MS word documents.
        > Please remember that there is also a photo section to the group so do
        > not hesitate to start your own photo directory and post some images
        > of your handywork.
        I stuck up a few more pictures of my clock, Chris.

        I am going to be doing a thorough testing of the UDCs very shortly,
        as I want to add some wipes and animations as well as define a wider
        character set. Time as always.

        Will try and annotate my clock board and provide code some time, as
        it is so simple and easy to build.

        John
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
          wrote:

          > On 7 Apr 2007, at 08:51, Chris wrote:
          >
          > > The files section was becoming a mess, with two versions of B7971
          > > sockets and the ZM1350 socket adding to the confusion.
          > OK. But I couldn't find the smartsocket documentation. I think
          they
          > were MS word documents.

          Hello John,
          The document you need is in the 'B7971' section, called "B7971 Smart
          sockets.doc"

          I moved it to there because I have a slightly different version for
          the ZM1350, yet to be uploaded. Perhaps I will consider re-writing it
          as one manual. There could be up to four types of display to
          consider, B7971, B8971, B5971, ZM1350.

          HHhhmmm, the only variations are the pcb details. Also, for the B5971
          two segments are not used, segment L (12), which is the lower central
          vertical segment,and the underscore. Yep, I think I'll do a revamp
          and make the manual consolidated for all devices

          > I am going to be doing a thorough testing of the UDCs very
          shortly,
          > as I want to add some wipes and animations as well as define a
          wider
          > character set. Time as always.

          Animations ? yay!
          The animations which I made were quite quickly put together and are
          variations of on similar themes. We could replace one easily with
          another (better) animation quite easily. Also it would be simple to
          extend the animation numbering into the hexadecimal range 0-9,A-H to
          provide another 8 built-in animations, or more if required. I would
          need to check memory availability.

          The reason to use this 16F690 is that it is has the greatest ammount
          of memory (7k) for all devices upto 20 pins, in PICs at least. Losing
          one large animation could make room for two smaller ones if space
          becomes an issue.

          Using UDC's is probably the best way to go just now.The UDC memory is
          pretty much void of useful characters as standard, if there is a set
          of characters you particularly like they could be hardcoded into UDC
          memory for you if it would help. It's always going to be an option
          should it be required.

          > Will try and annotate my clock board and provide code some time,
          as
          > it is so simple and easy to build.
          >
          > John

          That's good of you,
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
            On 8 Apr 2007, at 10:29, Chris wrote:
            > Hello John,
            > The document you need is in the 'B7971' section, called "B7971 Smart
            > sockets.doc"
            OK thanks, I got it.

            Documentation says:

            The User Definable Characters...

            Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
            program all characters between 0 and 58, as well as the characters
            between 58 and 126.

            Is this true, Chris? What happens if you redefine the exclamation
            mark or the return key? I think we should be told.

            John
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
              wrote:

              > On 8 Apr 2007, at 10:29, Chris wrote:
              > > Hello John,
              > > The document you need is in the 'B7971' section, called "B7971
              Smart
              > > sockets.doc"
              > OK thanks, I got it.
              >
              > Documentation says:
              >
              > The User Definable Characters...
              >
              > Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
              > program all characters between 0 and 58, as well as the
              characters
              > between 58 and 126.
              >
              > Is this true, Chris? What happens if you redefine the exclamation
              > mark or the return key? I think we should be told.
              >
              > John

              Probably a few words on the subject are required in the manual, but
              technically, you can redefine them the same as you can for other
              characters.

              What you may have difficulty in doing is in getting the character to
              appear on the display device, because there is active filtering for
              those two characters which catches them and acts upon them before
              the display routine gets a chance to interpret them.

              A couple of changes to the software could be made by anyone unhappy
              with the situation, simply by redesignating the end of message
              character to a character which is not available for redefinition
              under the protocol of the UDC system, such as character 254

              The only reason to use the enter key as the end of messagenotifier
              was so that I could test the sockets by hooking them up to the PC
              using Hyperterminal to send messages directly to them, where quite
              obviously the enter key makes most sense in this situation.

              It is simple enough to change the EOM character in the source code,
              and the same applies for the exclamation mark.

              Personally I am loathed to change the EOM to be anything other than
              the enter key because I am still using it, but there is no reason
              why anyone else has to , simply by modifying the source code you can
              use any other characters instead.

              As it stands, I avoid using the enter key and the exclamation mark
              for anything other than their designated purposes as per the
              documentation. I'll add a few words to the documentation, thanks for
              the reminder.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2007
                  On 13 Apr 2007, at 00:41, Chris wrote:
                  > As it stands, I avoid using the enter key and the exclamation mark
                  > for anything other than their designated purposes as per the
                  > documentation. I'll add a few words to the documentation, thanks
                  > for the reminder.
                  I do think this would help the newcomer Chris. There is enough to
                  fret about for us normal mortals without being unsure of what does
                  what in your PICs.

                  I have just done a thorough test of the UDCs, every location from 0
                  to 126, except of course for 13-return and 33-exclamation mark. If
                  you try and display UDC 13 or 33 the system ignores the message.
                  Whatever displayed before is still there. Good.

                  All works as expected except for ascii locations 0 to 9. I redefined
                  these but when I address them, they display 0 to 9 and are not my
                  definitions. Of course normally 0 to 9 would be ascii 48 to 57, so
                  somewhere along the line they are getting translated to their ascii
                  equivalent.

                  To test the UDCs again, I defined another set from 0 to 19 and put an
                  underscore on every character. Sure enough 0 to 9 don't define, or if
                  they do, they don't display, which is probably more likely the case.

                  I don't suggest you do anything about this Chris, just change the
                  documentation to say:

                  Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
                  program all characters between 10 and 58, as well as the characters
                  between 58 and 126. Please note that ascii 13 and 33 are reserved by
                  the smartsocket system and will not display.

                  One other thing I think you should say is that if you are sending a
                  batch of UDCs to the sockets, you need to put a reasonable delay
                  between each set, to allow the sockets to receive and write to their
                  eeproms each time. This caught me out. At one point I had all
                  locations programmed with every segment on! All I did was change the
                  gap between each set and all was well.

                  The other thing I found was that to program all UDC locations a
                  16F628a didn't have enough space, a 16F648a does.

                  The PicBasic code I used for my 0-19 test is in a folder here:

                  Regards,

                  John
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 14, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > On 13 Apr 2007, at 00:41, Chris wrote:
                    > > As it stands, I avoid using the enter key and the exclamation
                    mark
                    > > for anything other than their designated purposes as per the
                    > > documentation. I'll add a few words to the documentation, thanks
                    > > for the reminder.
                    > I do think this would help the newcomer Chris. There is enough to
                    > fret about for us normal mortals without being unsure of what does
                    > what in your PICs.
                    >
                    > I have just done a thorough test of the UDCs, every location from
                    0
                    > to 126, except of course for 13-return and 33-exclamation mark. If
                    > you try and display UDC 13 or 33 the system ignores the message.
                    > Whatever displayed before is still there. Good.
                    >
                    > All works as expected except for ascii locations 0 to 9. I
                    redefined
                    > these but when I address them, they display 0 to 9 and are not my
                    > definitions. Of course normally 0 to 9 would be ascii 48 to 57, so
                    > somewhere along the line they are getting translated to their
                    ascii
                    > equivalent.
                    >
                    > To test the UDCs again, I defined another set from 0 to 19 and put
                    an
                    > underscore on every character. Sure enough 0 to 9 don't define, or
                    if
                    > they do, they don't display, which is probably more likely the case.
                    >
                    > I don't suggest you do anything about this Chris, just change the
                    > documentation to say:
                    >
                    > Please note that version 2 software now gives the ability to also
                    > program all characters between 10 and 58, as well as the
                    characters
                    > between 58 and 126. Please note that ascii 13 and 33 are reserved
                    by
                    > the smartsocket system and will not display.

                    I'll look into it John, you're quite right to mention it and I hadn't
                    thought about it before, but not only do the exclamation and enter
                    characters have special meanings, so do the numeric ascii chars.
                    If there is enough program memory I'll try a version which ignores
                    numeric ascii chars if the current font is set to UDC.

                    > One other thing I think you should say is that if you are sending
                    > batch of UDCs to the sockets, you need to put a reasonable delay
                    > between each set, to allow the sockets to receive and write to
                    their
                    > eeproms each time. This caught me out. At one point I had all
                    > locations programmed with every segment on! All I did was change
                    the
                    > gap between each set and all was well.

                    Ah yep, that's a good point, I will have to mention that at some
                    point !

                    > The other thing I found was that to program all UDC locations a
                    > 16F628a didn't have enough space, a 16F648a does.

                    I take it that you are talking about storing a program on a program
                    driver chip which sends serial data to the sockets, and not the
                    sockets themselves, as then you wouldn't have enough IO either !

                    Thanks for posting your test code,