Re: [smartsockets] Re: An interesting find!

  • Matt Gorbet
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010

      In the 12 yrs I have been collecting and using them, it has only gone up.  And there are a lot of us youngsters doin' it!

      One factor is it is far easier to so the microcontroller-based electronics, and far easier also to spread your work via blogs & the 'net, so interest continues to soar.

      ______________
      sent from iPhone

      On 2010-12-07, at 7:57 AM, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

      I'm not sure which way it will go, though at present my plans for a 24 tube RSS ticker aren't looking so good unless I win the lottery. :(

      On 7 Dec 2010, at 12:36, David wrote:

      > Question for the list: Do you think the price of B7971's will go up in the future or will interest decrease as there are fewer of us around who remember the days of the nixie?

    • Charles MacDonald
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
        ETCO had those Giant Nixies in their flyer for some time in the 70's.
        They sold them individually, as a set of two with the driver board, and
        they also had just the driver boards. The boards were missing the
        fingers - a guess they were junked for the gold.

        I think I could only afford one board on my allowance back then. Still
        have not figured out what to do with the tubes I bought. Pictured a
        "kitchen clock" back then, but realy should plan on using all the
        segments. Which is why I joined this group to learn.

        --
        Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
        cmacd@... Just Beyond the Fringe
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
          Charles,

          If you have not done so already, you should really also join the Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L. There are years of conversations about exactly these questions, datasheets, photos, and archives.

          A good supplement to smartsockets.

          Good luck!
          -Brock

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
            On 10 Dec 2010, at 12:15, Brock wrote:

            > Charles,
            >
            > If you have not done so already, you should really also join the
            > Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L.

            You can't, it's closed to new members now. Join http://
            groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?pli=1 instead.