Re: [smartsockets] Re: An interesting find!

  • Ray Fenwick
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
      I'm not sure which way it will go, though at present my plans for a 24 tube RSS ticker aren't looking so good unless I win the lottery. :(

    • michail1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
        You should consider it unless you want to make 2x clocks.

        Keep in mind that the seller on ebay has been doing the same deal for quite some time.  So, he has a built up reputation and I am sure people are checking that.  It means a lot.
        Also, you will have to energize your glass to prove they work.

        And make sure you don't tell people in the auction that you paid $1.50 each as that would energize the people like me (damn kid got them for only $1.).   :)

        Michail

        In a message dated 12/7/2010 3:15:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, dcarr@... writes:

        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

        > Me too.
        >
        > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

        Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

        > Ray
        >
        > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
        >
        > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
        > >
        > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
        > > Dennis

      • Matt Gorbet
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010

          In the 12 yrs I have been collecting and using them, it has only gone up.  And there are a lot of us youngsters doin' it!

          One factor is it is far easier to so the microcontroller-based electronics, and far easier also to spread your work via blogs & the 'net, so interest continues to soar.

          ______________
          sent from iPhone

          On 2010-12-07, at 7:57 AM, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

          I'm not sure which way it will go, though at present my plans for a 24 tube RSS ticker aren't looking so good unless I win the lottery. :(

          On 7 Dec 2010, at 12:36, David wrote:

          > Question for the list: Do you think the price of B7971's will go up in the future or will interest decrease as there are fewer of us around who remember the days of the nixie?

        • Charles MacDonald
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
            ETCO had those Giant Nixies in their flyer for some time in the 70's.
            They sold them individually, as a set of two with the driver board, and
            they also had just the driver boards. The boards were missing the
            fingers - a guess they were junked for the gold.

            I think I could only afford one board on my allowance back then. Still
            have not figured out what to do with the tubes I bought. Pictured a
            "kitchen clock" back then, but realy should plan on using all the
            segments. Which is why I joined this group to learn.

            --
            Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
            cmacd@... Just Beyond the Fringe
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
              Charles,

              If you have not done so already, you should really also join the Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L. There are years of conversations about exactly these questions, datasheets, photos, and archives.

              A good supplement to smartsockets.

              Good luck!
              -Brock

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                On 10 Dec 2010, at 12:15, Brock wrote:

                > Charles,
                >
                > If you have not done so already, you should really also join the
                > Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L.

                You can't, it's closed to new members now. Join http://
                groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?pli=1 instead.