Re: [smartsockets] Re: An interesting find!

  • Charles MacDonald
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2010
      On 10-12-04 09:42 PM, David wrote:

      >> That has got to be less than the original owner paid for them back in
      >> the 1970's. Was it from ETCO by any chance?
      >
      > At first I thought I wasn't going to be able to answer your question because I threw out the musty old box and paper, but each tube has a sticker on the top! You are right on both counts, the sticker reads ETCO PRICE $3.95

      ETCO electronics was a wonderful surplus place in Montreal. (464 McGill
      Street) and in Pointe Claire. They had almost everything, I even bought
      my Yaseau FRG-7 There. Their Flyers were even paradioed in one of the
      early home computer books.

      Fellow who ran it decided to move the business to the states, where he
      has (if he is still alive) http://www.surplustraders.net or
      http://73.com/ They are mostly interested in selling surplus to dealers
      these days it seems.

      --
      Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
      cmacd@... Just Beyond the Fringe
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

        > Me too.
        >
        > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

        Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

        > Ray
        >
        > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
        >
        > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
        > >
        > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
        > > Dennis

      • Ray Fenwick
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
          Please let me know the item number if you do :)

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 7 Dec 2010, at 11:15, David <dcarr@...> wrote:

          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

          > Me too.
          >
          > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

          Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

          > Ray
          >
          > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
          >
          > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
          > >
          > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
          > > Dennis

        • David
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

            > Please let me know the item number if you do :)

            I'll be sure to post it to the group if and when I do ;-) I don't have time to start the clock right now anyway.(Why do people always ask you what you're going to do with your time now that you're retired? I'm busier than when I was working!)

            Question for the list: Do you think the price of B7971's will go up in the future or will interest decrease as there are fewer of us around who remember the days of the nixie?

            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On 7 Dec 2010, at 11:15, David <dcarr@...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Me too.
            > > >
            > > > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O
            > > >

            > > Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.
            > >
            > > > Ray

          • Ray Fenwick
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
              I'm not sure which way it will go, though at present my plans for a 24 tube RSS ticker aren't looking so good unless I win the lottery. :(

            • michail1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                You should consider it unless you want to make 2x clocks.

                Keep in mind that the seller on ebay has been doing the same deal for quite some time.  So, he has a built up reputation and I am sure people are checking that.  It means a lot.
                Also, you will have to energize your glass to prove they work.

                And make sure you don't tell people in the auction that you paid $1.50 each as that would energize the people like me (damn kid got them for only $1.).   :)

                Michail

                In a message dated 12/7/2010 3:15:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, dcarr@... writes:

                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

                > Me too.
                >
                > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

                Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

                > Ray
                >
                > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
                >
                > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
                > >
                > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
                > > Dennis

              • Matt Gorbet
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010

                  In the 12 yrs I have been collecting and using them, it has only gone up.  And there are a lot of us youngsters doin' it!

                  One factor is it is far easier to so the microcontroller-based electronics, and far easier also to spread your work via blogs & the 'net, so interest continues to soar.

                  ______________
                  sent from iPhone

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                    ETCO had those Giant Nixies in their flyer for some time in the 70's.
                    They sold them individually, as a set of two with the driver board, and
                    they also had just the driver boards. The boards were missing the
                    fingers - a guess they were junked for the gold.

                    I think I could only afford one board on my allowance back then. Still
                    have not figured out what to do with the tubes I bought. Pictured a
                    "kitchen clock" back then, but realy should plan on using all the
                    segments. Which is why I joined this group to learn.

                    --
                    Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
                    cmacd@... Just Beyond the Fringe
                    http://www.TelecomOttawa.net/~cmacd/
                    No Microsoft Products were used in sending this e-mail.
                  • Brock
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                      Charles,

                      If you have not done so already, you should really also join the Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L. There are years of conversations about exactly these questions, datasheets, photos, and archives.

                      A good supplement to smartsockets.

                      Good luck!
                      -Brock

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                        On 10 Dec 2010, at 12:15, Brock wrote:

                        > Charles,
                        >
                        > If you have not done so already, you should really also join the
                        > Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L.

                        You can't, it's closed to new members now. Join http://
                        groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?pli=1 instead.