An interesting find!

  • David
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
      Recently I was looking through a local antique warehouse when I spotted the glint of glass in an old cardboard box on a shelf in one of the booths. Sure enough the vendors sticker on the box said radio tubes. But when I looked at the very large "radio tube" in the top of the box I knew it was not a radio tube, but some kind of strange very large nixie tube I had never seen before. I had toyed with idea of building a nixie clock and even though I didn't know what these strange tubes were I bought the box. When I got home I searched the net and discovered what a B7971 was! When I started to unpack the box I got another surprise. There was a shipping label on the outside of the box from a electronics supply company in Montreal and an invoice inside from the same company dated 1971. Each tube looked brand new and was wrapped in a French language newspaper also from 1971. THERE WERE TWELVE B7971'S IN THE BOX AND I PAID $17 DOLLARS FOR *THE WHOLE BOX*!!! I reckon that's about a $1.42 a tube, which seems to be a little less than the going rate, do you think I paid too much? LOL

      - Dave Carr (B7971 newbie)
    • Charles MacDonald
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
        On 10-12-04 08:26 PM, David wrote:
        > Recently I was looking through a local antique warehouse when I
        > spotted the glint of glass in an old cardboard box on a shelf in one
        > of the booths. Sure enough the vendors sticker on the box said radio
        > tubes. But when I looked at the very large "radio tube" in the top of
        > the box I knew it was not a radio tube, but some kind of strange very
        > large nixie tube I had never seen before. I had toyed with idea of
        > building a nixie clock and even though I didn't know what these
        > strange tubes were I bought the box. When I got home I searched the
        > net and discovered what a B7971 was! When I started to unpack the box
        > I got another surprise. There was a shipping label on the outside of
        > the box from a electronics supply company in Montreal and an invoice
        > inside from the same company dated 1971. Each tube looked brand new
        > and was wrapped in a French language newspaper also from 1971. THERE
        > WERE TWELVE B7971'S IN THE BOX AND I PAID $17 DOLLARS FOR *THE WHOLE
        > BOX*!!! I reckon that's about a $1.42 a tube, which seems to be a
        > little less than the going rate, do you think I paid too much? LOL

        That has got to be less than the original owner paid for them back in
        the 1970's. Was it from ETCO by any chance?

        --
        Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
        cmacd@... Just Beyond the Fringe
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
          Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!

          Sure hope they all check out for you.
          Dennis

        • michail1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
            Did you sell me the tubes outside of ebay?

            I got 12 tubes here, and they are all wrapped in newspaper from 1971/72.

            I paid a lot more than $1.50 each though.  heh

            Michail

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Charles MacDonald <cmacd@...> wrote:

              > On 10-12-04 08:26 PM, David wrote:
              > > Recently I was looking through a local antique warehouse when I
              > > spotted the glint of glass in an old cardboard box on a shelf in one
              > > of the booths. Sure enough the vendors sticker on the box said radio
              > > tubes. But when I looked at the very large "radio tube" in the top of
              > > the box I knew it was not a radio tube, but some kind of strange very
              > > large nixie tube I had never seen before. I had toyed with idea of
              > > building a nixie clock and even though I didn't know what these
              > > strange tubes were I bought the box. When I got home I searched the
              > > net and discovered what a B7971 was! When I started to unpack the box
              > > I got another surprise. There was a shipping label on the outside of
              > > the box from a electronics supply company in Montreal and an invoice
              > > inside from the same company dated 1971. Each tube looked brand new
              > > and was wrapped in a French language newspaper also from 1971. THERE
              > > WERE TWELVE B7971'S IN THE BOX AND I PAID $17 DOLLARS FOR *THE WHOLE
              > > BOX*!!! I reckon that's about a $1.42 a tube, which seems to be a
              > > little less than the going rate, do you think I paid too much? LOL
              > >

              > That has got to be less than the original owner paid for them back in
              > the 1970's. Was it from ETCO by any chance?

              At first I thought I wasn't going to be able to answer your question because I threw out the musty old box and paper, but each tube has a sticker on the top! You are right on both counts, the sticker reads ETCO PRICE $3.95

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

                > Did you sell me the tubes outside of ebay?
                >
                > I got 12 tubes here, and they are all wrapped in newspaper from 1971/72.
                >
                > I paid a lot more than $1.50 each though. heh
                >
                > Michail

                Wasn't me. I still have all twelve and I won't be selling them. I guess people on this list won't think I'm strange for finding them beautiful.

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "daddyvan2005" <daddyvan2005@...> wrote:

                  > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!

                  I'm glad I didn't know what they were when I bought them or how many were in the box. He didn't know what he was selling and I didn't know what I was buying. He got $17 for his old "radio tubes" and as far as I knew I was buying a pig in a poke.

                • michail1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010
                    No, you are on the right list now.  No one things you're strange.  We all are.

                    The only thing people think right now is how jealous they are of you getting them at $17.
                    I have to admit, I am at the top of the list.

                    Michail

                    In a message dated 12/4/2010 6:44:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, dcarr@... writes:
                    > Did you sell me the tubes outside of ebay?
                    >
                    > I got 12 tubes here, and they are all wrapped in newspaper from 1971/72.
                    >
                    > I paid a lot more than $1.50 each though. heh
                    >
                    > Michail

                    Wasn't me. I still have all twelve and I won't be selling them. I guess people on this list won't think I'm strange for finding them beautiful.

                  • Matt Gorbet
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 4, 2010

                      Wow congratulations David.  And welcome to the glowing beauty of B7971s.
                      <M>

                      -----------
                      Matt Gorbet
                      matt@...
                      http://www.gorbetdesign.com

                      On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 01:26 +0000, "David" <dcarr@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Ray Fenwick
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2010
                        Me too.

                        I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

                        Ray

                        On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:

                        > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
                        >
                        > Sure hope they all check out for you.
                        > Dennis
                      • Charles MacDonald
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 5, 2010
                          On 10-12-04 09:42 PM, David wrote:

                          >> That has got to be less than the original owner paid for them back in
                          >> the 1970's. Was it from ETCO by any chance?
                          >
                          > At first I thought I wasn't going to be able to answer your question because I threw out the musty old box and paper, but each tube has a sticker on the top! You are right on both counts, the sticker reads ETCO PRICE $3.95

                          ETCO electronics was a wonderful surplus place in Montreal. (464 McGill
                          Street) and in Pointe Claire. They had almost everything, I even bought
                          my Yaseau FRG-7 There. Their Flyers were even paradioed in one of the
                          early home computer books.

                          Fellow who ran it decided to move the business to the states, where he
                          has (if he is still alive) http://www.surplustraders.net or
                          http://73.com/ They are mostly interested in selling surplus to dealers
                          these days it seems.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

                            > Me too.
                            >
                            > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

                            Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

                            > Ray
                            >
                            > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
                            >
                            > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
                            > >
                            > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
                            > > Dennis

                          • Ray Fenwick
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                              Please let me know the item number if you do :)

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On 7 Dec 2010, at 11:15, David <dcarr@...> wrote:

                              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

                              > Me too.
                              >
                              > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

                              Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

                              > Ray
                              >
                              > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
                              >
                              > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
                              > >
                              > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
                              > > Dennis

                            • David
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

                                > Please let me know the item number if you do :)

                                I'll be sure to post it to the group if and when I do ;-) I don't have time to start the clock right now anyway.(Why do people always ask you what you're going to do with your time now that you're retired? I'm busier than when I was working!)

                                Question for the list: Do you think the price of B7971's will go up in the future or will interest decrease as there are fewer of us around who remember the days of the nixie?

                                > Sent from my iPhone
                                >
                                > On 7 Dec 2010, at 11:15, David <dcarr@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Me too.
                                > > >
                                > > > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O
                                > > >

                                > > Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.
                                > >
                                > > > Ray

                              • Ray Fenwick
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                                  I'm not sure which way it will go, though at present my plans for a 24 tube RSS ticker aren't looking so good unless I win the lottery. :(

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                                    You should consider it unless you want to make 2x clocks.

                                    Keep in mind that the seller on ebay has been doing the same deal for quite some time.  So, he has a built up reputation and I am sure people are checking that.  It means a lot.
                                    Also, you will have to energize your glass to prove they work.

                                    And make sure you don't tell people in the auction that you paid $1.50 each as that would energize the people like me (damn kid got them for only $1.).   :)

                                    Michail

                                    In a message dated 12/7/2010 3:15:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, dcarr@... writes:

                                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <rayfenwick@...> wrote:

                                    > Me too.
                                    >
                                    > I wonder what 12 NOS B7971's would fetch on eBay? :-O

                                    Current bid for an auction of 6 NOS B7971's on eBay $305USD!!! Maybe I should consider auctioning 6 of my 12 and cover the cost of all the other parts for my clock, something to think about.

                                    > Ray
                                    >
                                    > On 5 Dec 2010, at 01:57, daddyvan2005 wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Congratulations on the find! Grand theft tube!
                                    > >
                                    > > Sure hope they all check out for you.
                                    > > Dennis

                                  • Matt Gorbet
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010

                                      In the 12 yrs I have been collecting and using them, it has only gone up.  And there are a lot of us youngsters doin' it!

                                      One factor is it is far easier to so the microcontroller-based electronics, and far easier also to spread your work via blogs & the 'net, so interest continues to soar.

                                      ______________
                                      sent from iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 9, 2010
                                        ETCO had those Giant Nixies in their flyer for some time in the 70's.
                                        They sold them individually, as a set of two with the driver board, and
                                        they also had just the driver boards. The boards were missing the
                                        fingers - a guess they were junked for the gold.

                                        I think I could only afford one board on my allowance back then. Still
                                        have not figured out what to do with the tubes I bought. Pictured a
                                        "kitchen clock" back then, but realy should plan on using all the
                                        segments. Which is why I joined this group to learn.

                                        --
                                        Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
                                        cmacd@... Just Beyond the Fringe
                                        http://www.TelecomOttawa.net/~cmacd/
                                        No Microsoft Products were used in sending this e-mail.
                                      • Brock
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                          Charles,

                                          If you have not done so already, you should really also join the Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L. There are years of conversations about exactly these questions, datasheets, photos, and archives.

                                          A good supplement to smartsockets.

                                          Good luck!
                                          -Brock

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 10, 2010
                                            On 10 Dec 2010, at 12:15, Brock wrote:

                                            > Charles,
                                            >
                                            > If you have not done so already, you should really also join the
                                            > Yahoo Group NEONIXIE-L.

                                            You can't, it's closed to new members now. Join http://
                                            groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?pli=1 instead.