IV-17 sockets WAS Re: New file uploaded to smartsockets

  • rogerleifert
    Message 1 of 103 , Sep 30, 2010
      Hi Chris,

      A solution for the decimal point drivers could be using a UDN2981 or UDN 2982/2 instead of a bunch of transistors and resistors.
      These are octal high-side drivers specified up to 50V and available in SMD.
      UDN 2983/4 can even switch uo to 80V.

      They can drive the segments (or in this case the decimal points) directly from the PIC since they are CMOS and TTL compatible.
      With one of these ICs even all of the double decimal points of a quad IV-17 display could be driven.
      I have used this IC for a VFD-Clock with 6 of the (7-Segment) IV-11, which are quite similar to the IV-17 in size and.

      I too had no issues with uneven brightness using DC-voltage for the filaments.
      In my IV-11 clock I have made a small SMPS with the popular MC34063 to get 4,5 V.
      Then I set the filaments 3V above ground with a 3V power Z-diode in series to ensure full cutoff when the grid or the segments go to ground (which the filament then sees as -3V).
      (IV-11s only have 1,5V filament voltage.)

      Your first idea for the HV-Supply using a fet and a few passive components was perhaps similar to the solution by adafruit for their IV-18 clock.

      http://www.ladyada.net/make/icetube/design.html

      With such an approach the voltage could be influenced with the duty-cyle of a PWM-output of the controller. So one could have another "feature" for dimming the VFDs.
      This is of course not very important for a "showcase"-display, but if You have it in Your bedroom...
      I have fitted nearly all of my nixie- and VFD-clocks with an LDR-regulated automatic dimming to extend the lifetime of the displays and for "bedroom-usage".

      Roger

    • smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
      Message 103 of 103 , Apr 21, 2014
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the smartsockets
        group.

        File : /B-5971/README.TXT
        Uploaded by : cyberb0 <radmeck@...>
        Description : IF YOU DARE! - 04.21.2014