Text to Smartsockets windows program

    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010
      Hey Group,

      With some help from a programming friend, we have put together a little windows app that will let you send RSS feeds from the internet to the smartsockets. It grabs the title from the feed and sends it to the smartsockets. It also shows a progress of the amount of feeds that have been sent, the current item that is been sent and also a simulated display of what is currently on the smartsockets.

      It was written in Visual Basic 2008 Express, so i think you need to have .NET 3.5 (free from Microsoft) installed on your machine.

      Usage
      - select the COM port the smartsockets are connected to
      - enter the number of smartsockets you have connected
      - choose the effect and speed (i find effect 0 or effect 1 with speed 1 are all that is readable with a scrolling speed of 500ms)
      - type/paste an URL of a feed into the RSS to Display text box (there is a default one there from feeds.news.com.au)
      - click on send

      The Simple Text Display tab allows you to send a scrolling message to the smartsockets.

      There are a couple of (known!) things that don't work in this version:
      - no ATOM support (eg. Google's Blogger pages)
      - non standard characters don't get displayed (?@=+<> etc, the ones which are/can be set in the UDC's). What happens is that the previous character is displayed instead.

      I have tested with the LED starburst smartsockets i have previously built. The program has been run on Windows 7 and XP on a few different machines, can't say whether it will work on other versions of Windows.

      The program is in the Text to Smartsockets directory under files.

      Welcome any feedback/comments/problems people have about/with the program.

      Cheers.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2010
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

        > Hey Group,
        >
        > With some help from a programming friend, we have put together a little windows app that will let you send RSS feeds from the internet to the smartsockets.

        > Cheers.
        > Simon

        Well done Simon and thanks for sharing. It might be a while before I get to try it out but I think it is an ideal application for Smartsockets.