Re: [smartsockets] Re: Smart LED starburst

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
      On 23 Mar 2010, at 07:58, guus.assmann@... wrote:
      > I've designed my own Smartsocket PCB's for the B7971.
      > And made a mistake in the routing.
      > Rather than design a new PCB, I also changed the code.
      > Changes need to be made on 3 spots if memory serves right.
      > I don't have my revised code at hand right now, but can look it up.

      I am sure that would be very very helpful Guus.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

        > On 22 Mar 2010, at 21:30, fixitsan2 wrote:
        > > Good effort John.
        > >
        > It'd be better if it actually worked. Simon has loaded the new code
        > and says there is no difference to the characters. Are you doing
        > something to address the ports directly? Maybe the port vars are only
        > used in fade routines or something?

        I think you are on the right track there John. I did some more testing, when I send $B7M1 to the PIC, the digit 1 is displayed, $B7M9 - digit 9 etc. When I change the effect to effect 4 or higher, the effect and the character left after the effect is jumbled up. Any other character sent after that is jumbled up. If I then change the effect back to 0, 1, 2 or 3, the characters are back to been legible.

        So the port changes you did is having an effect (pardon the pun!) but only when effects 4-9 are been used.

        The setup I am using for that testing is a PIC loaded with the new Smart LED starburst.hex but wired for the old B7971 pinout.

        Looking through the code, there looks like another area where ports/segments are defined. Line 717 (of the Smart LED starburst.pbp) has these commands:

        btfsc _OUTA2H,7 ;seg1
        bsf _NEW_PORTA,0
        btfss _OUTA2H,7
        bcf _NEW_PORTA,0

        Wondering if that is the area that relates to what we are experiencing? Does this area need to be updated to the new port assignments as well?

        > > I wonder how much variety exists between the pinouts of this type
        > > of display.

        Two lots of alphanumeric displays I have bought off ebay (different sellers) have the same pinouts and physical dimensions as the LDS-F8004RI from Lumex (datasheet is in the "Smart LED starburst" files section). The Kingbright 0.8" display (http://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/PSC08-11EWA.pdf) has the same dimensions and pinout, although they label the segments differently.

        > > I'm feeling under pressure to update the B7971, ZM1350 and now the
        > > LED versions to include the new commands and effects....where is
        > > the time ?
        > >
        > I know, time is so precious. Stick with the IV 4 - IV 17 version for
        > now.

        I agree with John, just think about the IV-4 version for now.

        By throwing the LED SS version out there for thoughts and feasibility from the group a few weeks ago, I didn't mean to add extra pressure on you to to get the LED SS to work with the others. I thought it would be a good/cheap way for me/other people to start getting into smartsockets. Apologies for any undue stress/pressure.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

          > btfsc _OUTA2H,7 ;seg1
          > bsf _NEW_PORTA,0
          > btfss _OUTA2H,7
          > bcf _NEW_PORTA,0
          >
          > Wondering if that is the area that relates to what we are experiencing? Does this area need to be updated to the new port assignments as well?

          Yes this is another area where pin assignments need to be changed. When I created the original code I spent a few fun days coding effects transitions to use up what was left of the memory. (Why waste it all on value 255 ?)

          I wrote each transition effect individually, and although I tried to keep pin reassignments to a minimum by using literal names, in some places the only way to get the effect I needed was to write to and read port pins directly, mainly because I was short of ram at times, and partly because I wasn't sure how to implement different effects with only a few combined routines.

          The latest IV-4 SS uses a different idea. Based on the principle that almost all of the effects I wanted to make involved setting/blanking/sequencing the segments, I now use 3 main subroutines and the transition effect routine is encoded as a series of 8 bit values in lookup tables. Each effect which sets and clears segments (pattern playing) now only uses 128 bytes of memory. The values in the table act as input to the subroutines which are behaving as sequence players, and-ing and or-ing port pins and buffer values as required.

          The main reason that this became essential for the IV-4 SS is that the controller multiplexes 4 tubes. I have had to come up with a way
          that each tube can have it's own effect, and can be at a different stage in the transition effect at a different time to the other tubes. The only way to do this was to create effect routines which can be jumped into and out of in different ways for each tube, depending on how far into it's transition each has progressed. In this way, just like existing SS's, each tube can still have it's own effect, speed, font etc

          Anyway, enough of the sales pitch !

          > > > I wonder how much variety exists between the pinouts of this type
          > > > of display.
          >
          > Two lots of alphanumeric displays I have bought off ebay (different sellers) have the same pinouts

          I think that's great news !

          > I agree with John, just think about the IV-4 version for now.
          >
          > By throwing the LED SS version out there for thoughts and feasibility from the group a few weeks ago, I didn't mean to add extra pressure on you to to get the LED SS to work with the others. I thought it would be a good/cheap way for me/other people to start getting into smartsockets. Apologies for any undue stress/pressure.
          >
          > Simon

          No problem Simon. I am desperate to get this to a stage where I can release it. At the moment the SD Card issues are holding me up, but then I could still get the IV-4 version finished sooner if I drop
          the SD Card for now and implement an I2C eeprom just for saving user variables.
          The six tube device is almost certainly going to need the SD Card because it would introduce so much scope, it could act as a message reader, it could even display the contents of large text files, and so on. I suppose then at that point the 4 tube version could be reassessed.

          I'll put the brakes on the feature creep for now then, bring the I2C eeprom idea into play and focus on completing what is here already

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

            > Hopefully Melanie will soothe your furrowed brow, Chris.
            >
            > John S

            I can see why the forums are so popular !