Betr: Re: Betr: [smartsockets] IV-17 Smartsocket, 4 tubes or 6 ?

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 14, 2010
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

      > On 14 Mar 2010, at 12:43, guus.assmann@... wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Chris.
      > >
      > > Why not have the two PCB's overlap on one extended edge,,, the
      > > tubes on the lower board would need an elevated mounting position.
      > >

      > The mounting holes on the satellite board will need shimming up too.
      > Ao I am not too keen on this idea. Matching edge pads and holes for
      > me please. I can make some sort of mechanical bridge if necessary via
      > the mounting holes, assuming these will be available.
      >
      > John S

      I can't seem to resolve that either, John. If the edges are at the same level and we use links to bridge the connection then some mechanical bridge is required. If the boards overlap then there is still a requirement for connection wires and some mechanical components too.

      The slickest way seems to be your original idea of a snappable board, and the reason I prefer it is because of the complete lack of any other mounting hardware, or interconnection components, which means it will not look untidy in a clear or open framed enclosure.
      Taking the hit on selling some unused, or wasted board space beneath the end two tubes for those who only wish to make a 4 tube device can be justified because there is no extra work or other components required to jump up from 4 tubes to 6.