Re: IV-4 Smartsocket Update

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 10 11:20 PM

      > Anyway, Simon, weren't you talking about LED Smartsockets ?
      >
      > Chris

      Yeah I was/still am! After a couple of false starts getting some common cathode alphanumeric displays, I have some coming in as well as some PIC's.
      Will report back once I get something working.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 11 3:40 PM
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

        ah I was/still am! After a couple of false starts getting some common cathode alphanumeric displays, I have some coming in as well as some PIC's.
        > Will report back once I get something working.
        >
        > Simon

        Cool, common cathodes are ideal for obvious reasons. In the version I have just made I only had common anode devices, so had to invert everything. Had it not been for that then I could have got away with reusing the IV-4 code completely.

        The next job with this IV-4 design is to write some pleasing transition effects which consider the set of four tubes as a homogeneous synchronised group. I'm hoping that will lift the design and make it a bit more interesting.

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 14 11:18 AM
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "andybiker2" <a.r.jardine@...> wrote:

          > Ok Guys,
          > I just have to prototype this too.
          > I love the video clip, you had me convinced with "shit" but to throw in "goer" too .......
          > I must edit the code and put in a "watershed" so the best words are saved for when the kids are in bed......
          > Andrew

          Hahaha, It just happened like that Andy.
          i had my reservations about posting it , because my daughter sometimes looks at my Youtube channel, but then again she is at highschool, so she probably hears worse and probably has no interest in anything I do !

          Word filtering is something I have to look at soon, because I think it works in a similar way to word selection when the code, for example, chooses words with 2 or 3 identical letters to the last word, and so on.

          A bit like the way that Matt Gorbet's 'Me to you' sculpture works, which changes only one letter at a time, and in doing so proves that less is sometimes more. It seems that sometimes changing all letters at once is quite frantic when compared to changing fewer letters at a time, if that makes sense.

          'Me to You'
          http://www.gorbetdesign.com/proj_metoyou.html

          I have no idea how to make that work though, so it is very interesting at the moment. Assuming that I can get the SD card side of things working quickly enough there will be almost unlimited memory to make themed lists of words, as well as picking lists.
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 14 2:39 PM
            On 14 Mar 2010, at 18:18, fixitsan2 wrote:
            > It seems that sometimes changing all letters at once is quite
            > frantic when compared to changing fewer letters at a time... I
            > have no idea how to make that work though, so it is very
            > interesting at the moment. Assuming that I can get the SD card side
            > of things working quickly enough there will be almost unlimited
            > memory to make themed lists of words, as well as picking lists.

            Chris, I was looking at the one-letter-at-a-time idea the other day.
            Fortunately it seems to be one of those things that lecturers
            routinely set to students, so there's a wealth of info available. The
            magic phrase I found was 'Word ladder'. This threw up loads of
            strategies for doing this bollocks.

            The thing I'd also like to do is a pseudo English speech machine. I
            found a javascript to do this but need help in converting this to
            Basic structures, so I can use PICbasic to code something up. By
            Basic I mean the old programming language, not Visual Basic.

            Is there anyone up for the challenge of converting this javascript? I
            am happy to make the parts of speech lists, it's the structure I have
            difficulty with. Please collaborate.

            Example javascript at:
            http://www.jsdesign.co.uk/random/

            JS
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 14 6:09 PM
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

              > Is there anyone up for the challenge of converting this javascript? I
              > am happy to make the parts of speech lists, it's the structure I have
              > difficulty with. Please collaborate.
              >
              > Example javascript at:
              > http://www.jsdesign.co.uk/random/
              >
              > JS

              I think the trick is going to be in filtering the bollocks to make sure that it never produces a meaningful sentence ;-)

              For example, taken out of the current context who knows what this means
              "Thanks to the word ladder tip research could begin"