Re: IV-4 Smartsocket Update

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8 11:24 PM
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, John Rehwinkel <jrehwin@...> wrote:

      > > The basic 4 tube socket is working well when configured as a standard array of four smartsockets, and also it now has a 'Letterplay' function which it can run in isolation.
      >
      > Does it have a nice centertapped AC filament supply (hope, hope)?
      >
      > - John

      Hello John.
      I am driving the clock from 5Vdc. For the filaments I am using resistor based current control. For the Vbb (45Vdc) I am using an SMPS
      In a traditional linear vfd display, where the filament runs in a straight line, it is easy to see a voltage differential between one end of the display and the other because the luminosity gradually changes.
      With the IV-4, the filament is a folded wire, making two 90degree turns. It starts at the bottom left, rise up in front of the left half segments, turns right for about 10mm, and then right again to go down back to the bottom right of the display. Therefore it is inherent that the natural DC generated voltage gradient is far less visually noticeable. Using a value of about 2.5V(filament voltage) for the gradient, and 45V for Vbb, the differences in voltage between the ends of the filament and the segments are 45V and 42.5V respectively, and this relatively small difference for this level of Vbb produces no noiceable gradient between the bottom left and the bottom right of the tube (The top/centre is always at midvolts as per tradition)

      I did look at getting into a bit of transformer action but so far I haven't been able to justify the extra effort/costs involved in terms of benefits to tube operation or lifetime.

      I once ran a lifetime test on an IV-4 usingdc applied to the filament and just 24V for Vbb but again there was no visible gradient at the end of the test even with this lower Vbb

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9 11:45 PM
        Looks fantastic Chris!

        I think I now know what you meant when you asked "Does anyone have a
        favourite way of displaying the time on 4 tubes?"
        How about HH:MM without the seconds? No need to scroll. You
        could also use the right "leg" of the 2nd tube (the segment that connects to pin 10) and the left "leg" of the 3rd tube (the segment that connects to pin 2) as a 1Hz indicator.

        Cheers.
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 10 6:53 AM
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

          > Looks fantastic Chris!
          >
          > I think I now know what you meant when you asked "Does anyone have a
          > favourite way of displaying the time on 4 tubes?"
          > How about HH:MM without the seconds? No need to scroll. You
          > could also use the right "leg" of the 2nd tube (the segment that connects to pin 10) and the left "leg" of the 3rd tube (the segment that connects to pin 2) as a 1Hz indicator.
          >
          > Cheers.
          > Simon

          Thanks for the idea Simon.
          Here's what I've done so far with regards to indicating the passing of time using the DP's...
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYaM6HDzEU

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10 12:25 PM

            > Thanks for the idea Simon.
            > Here's what I've done so far with regards to indicating the passing of time using the DP's...
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYaM6HDzEU
            >
            > Chris

            Nice one, looks like you have the DP options all under control!
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10 5:13 PM
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

              > Nice one, looks like you have the DP options all under control!

              I hope so. I have just combined the 'pendulum' effect with the ordinary Letterplay function, and it actually doesn't look too annoying!

              Anyway, Simon, weren't you talking about LED Smartsockets ?

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10 11:20 PM

                > Anyway, Simon, weren't you talking about LED Smartsockets ?
                >
                > Chris

                Yeah I was/still am! After a couple of false starts getting some common cathode alphanumeric displays, I have some coming in as well as some PIC's.
                Will report back once I get something working.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 11 3:40 PM
                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

                  ah I was/still am! After a couple of false starts getting some common cathode alphanumeric displays, I have some coming in as well as some PIC's.
                  > Will report back once I get something working.
                  >
                  > Simon

                  Cool, common cathodes are ideal for obvious reasons. In the version I have just made I only had common anode devices, so had to invert everything. Had it not been for that then I could have got away with reusing the IV-4 code completely.

                  The next job with this IV-4 design is to write some pleasing transition effects which consider the set of four tubes as a homogeneous synchronised group. I'm hoping that will lift the design and make it a bit more interesting.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 14 11:18 AM
                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "andybiker2" <a.r.jardine@...> wrote:

                    > Ok Guys,
                    > I just have to prototype this too.
                    > I love the video clip, you had me convinced with "shit" but to throw in "goer" too .......
                    > I must edit the code and put in a "watershed" so the best words are saved for when the kids are in bed......
                    > Andrew

                    Hahaha, It just happened like that Andy.
                    i had my reservations about posting it , because my daughter sometimes looks at my Youtube channel, but then again she is at highschool, so she probably hears worse and probably has no interest in anything I do !

                    Word filtering is something I have to look at soon, because I think it works in a similar way to word selection when the code, for example, chooses words with 2 or 3 identical letters to the last word, and so on.

                    A bit like the way that Matt Gorbet's 'Me to you' sculpture works, which changes only one letter at a time, and in doing so proves that less is sometimes more. It seems that sometimes changing all letters at once is quite frantic when compared to changing fewer letters at a time, if that makes sense.

                    'Me to You'
                    http://www.gorbetdesign.com/proj_metoyou.html

                    I have no idea how to make that work though, so it is very interesting at the moment. Assuming that I can get the SD card side of things working quickly enough there will be almost unlimited memory to make themed lists of words, as well as picking lists.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 14 2:39 PM
                      On 14 Mar 2010, at 18:18, fixitsan2 wrote:
                      > It seems that sometimes changing all letters at once is quite
                      > frantic when compared to changing fewer letters at a time... I
                      > have no idea how to make that work though, so it is very
                      > interesting at the moment. Assuming that I can get the SD card side
                      > of things working quickly enough there will be almost unlimited
                      > memory to make themed lists of words, as well as picking lists.

                      Chris, I was looking at the one-letter-at-a-time idea the other day.
                      Fortunately it seems to be one of those things that lecturers
                      routinely set to students, so there's a wealth of info available. The
                      magic phrase I found was 'Word ladder'. This threw up loads of
                      strategies for doing this bollocks.

                      The thing I'd also like to do is a pseudo English speech machine. I
                      found a javascript to do this but need help in converting this to
                      Basic structures, so I can use PICbasic to code something up. By
                      Basic I mean the old programming language, not Visual Basic.

                      Is there anyone up for the challenge of converting this javascript? I
                      am happy to make the parts of speech lists, it's the structure I have
                      difficulty with. Please collaborate.

                      Example javascript at:
                      http://www.jsdesign.co.uk/random/

                      JS
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 14 6:09 PM
                        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

                        > Is there anyone up for the challenge of converting this javascript? I
                        > am happy to make the parts of speech lists, it's the structure I have
                        > difficulty with. Please collaborate.
                        >
                        > Example javascript at:
                        > http://www.jsdesign.co.uk/random/
                        >
                        > JS

                        I think the trick is going to be in filtering the bollocks to make sure that it never produces a meaningful sentence ;-)

                        For example, taken out of the current context who knows what this means
                        "Thanks to the word ladder tip research could begin"