Re: [smartsockets] ZM1350 PCB's

  • Rich Gopstein
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
      Chris wrote:

      > The order is in adn the first boards should be back within 7-10 days.
      >
      > I need to change the software before they arrive but that's trivial.
      >
      > I'll post a message when they're here, and available, only after
      > initial testing of course.
      >
      > I have not implemented the decimal point, there simply isn't enough i/o
      > pins to do that. The keep alive has been catered for with space for a
      > resistor between the keep-alive pin and ground. I suspect they won't
      > need to be used and are more for multiplexed designs, all being well
      > that resistor will be dropped off the design on the next order.
      >
      > Chris

      I ordered a full set of parts from Digikey, so I assume you'd be willing
      sell the blank boards?

      You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just in case
      someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.

      Rich
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

        > I ordered a full set of parts from Digikey, so I assume you'd be
        willing
        > sell the blank boards?

        Not a problem, but out of interest what values resistors did you
        choose for the cathodes, I haven't begun to work those values out yet.

        > You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just in
        case
        > someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.

        The only reason for keeping it would be if someone wanted to
        multiplex, but then the smartsocket firmware doesn't support
        multiplexed operation. Perhaps you mean it that someone might want to
        use the boards without components but just as plain sockets ? Then I
        could see it being useful.

        Cheers
        Chris
      • Rich Gopstein
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
          Chris wrote:

          > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I ordered a full set of parts from Digikey, so I assume you'd be
          > > willing to sell the blank boards?
          >
          > Not a problem, but out of interest what values resistors did you
          > choose for the cathodes, I haven't begun to work those values out yet

          The resistor values are part of the specification docs. I used the ones
          for 170v:

          http://www.die-wuestens.de/rd/ZM1350/ZM1350.pdf

          Rich
        • gopstein
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2007
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

            > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@> wrote:
            > >
            > > You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just in
            > case
            > > someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.
            > >

            > The only reason for keeping it would be if someone wanted to
            > multiplex, but then the smartsocket firmware doesn't support
            > multiplexed operation. Perhaps you mean it that someone might want to
            > use the boards without components but just as plain sockets ? Then I
            > could see it being useful.
            >

            > Cheers
            > Chris

            I thought it might be used even without multiplexed operation, but I
            didn't really know why it was there, so I was just guessing.

            Rich
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2007
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

              > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just
              in
              > > case
              > > > someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.
              > > >

              > > The only reason for keeping it would be if someone wanted to
              > > multiplex, but then the smartsocket firmware doesn't support
              > > multiplexed operation. Perhaps you mean it that someone might
              want to
              > > use the boards without components but just as plain sockets ?
              Then I
              > > could see it being useful.
              > >

              > > Cheers
              > > Chris
              > >

              > I thought it might be used even without multiplexed operation, but I
              > didn't really know why it was there, so I was just guessing.
              >
              > Rich

              What I did was to make room for it knowing it would pronbably not be
              needed !
              In the absence of a physical device to test the software with I had
              to errr on the side of caution, because although the sockets aren't
              multiplexed, they use fast PWM in things like the fade routine, which
              is similar to muxing when looked at in terms of switching.

              I didn't have aproblem with the B7971's wiht this system and am quite
              sure the ZM1350 will be just as good as that and not need the keep
              alive, but it's there for now, just in case.

              Perhaps after all I'll leave the tracks there because now that I've
              looked at it a second time, removing that resistor will not make the
              board any smaller.