ZM1350 PCB's

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
      The order is in adn the first boards should be back within 7-10 days.

      I need to change the software before they arrive but that's trivial.

      I'll post a message when they're here, and available, only after
      initial testing of course.

      I have not implemented the decimal point, there simply isn't enough i/o
      pins to do that. The keep alive has been catered for with space for a
      resistor between the keep-alive pin and ground. I suspect they won't
      need to be used and are more for multiplexed designs, all being well
      that resistor will be dropped off the design on the next order.

      Chris
    • Rich Gopstein
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
        Chris wrote:

        > The order is in adn the first boards should be back within 7-10 days.
        >
        > I need to change the software before they arrive but that's trivial.
        >
        > I'll post a message when they're here, and available, only after
        > initial testing of course.
        >
        > I have not implemented the decimal point, there simply isn't enough i/o
        > pins to do that. The keep alive has been catered for with space for a
        > resistor between the keep-alive pin and ground. I suspect they won't
        > need to be used and are more for multiplexed designs, all being well
        > that resistor will be dropped off the design on the next order.
        >
        > Chris

        I ordered a full set of parts from Digikey, so I assume you'd be willing
        sell the blank boards?

        You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just in case
        someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.

        Rich
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:

          > I ordered a full set of parts from Digikey, so I assume you'd be
          willing
          > sell the blank boards?

          Not a problem, but out of interest what values resistors did you
          choose for the cathodes, I haven't begun to work those values out yet.

          > You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just in
          case
          > someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.

          The only reason for keeping it would be if someone wanted to
          multiplex, but then the smartsocket firmware doesn't support
          multiplexed operation. Perhaps you mean it that someone might want to
          use the boards without components but just as plain sockets ? Then I
          could see it being useful.

          Cheers
          Chris
        • Rich Gopstein
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
            Chris wrote:

            > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I ordered a full set of parts from Digikey, so I assume you'd be
            > > willing to sell the blank boards?
            >
            > Not a problem, but out of interest what values resistors did you
            > choose for the cathodes, I haven't begun to work those values out yet

            The resistor values are part of the specification docs. I used the ones
            for 170v:

            http://www.die-wuestens.de/rd/ZM1350/ZM1350.pdf

            Rich
          • gopstein
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2007
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

              > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@> wrote:
              > >
              > > You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just in
              > case
              > > someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.
              > >

              > The only reason for keeping it would be if someone wanted to
              > multiplex, but then the smartsocket firmware doesn't support
              > multiplexed operation. Perhaps you mean it that someone might want to
              > use the boards without components but just as plain sockets ? Then I
              > could see it being useful.
              >

              > Cheers
              > Chris

              I thought it might be used even without multiplexed operation, but I
              didn't really know why it was there, so I was just guessing.

              Rich
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 24, 2007
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

                > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Rich Gopstein <rich@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > You might want to leave the connection for the keep-alive just
                in
                > > case
                > > > someone wants/needs to implement it in the future.
                > > >

                > > The only reason for keeping it would be if someone wanted to
                > > multiplex, but then the smartsocket firmware doesn't support
                > > multiplexed operation. Perhaps you mean it that someone might
                want to
                > > use the boards without components but just as plain sockets ?
                Then I
                > > could see it being useful.
                > >

                > > Cheers
                > > Chris
                > >

                > I thought it might be used even without multiplexed operation, but I
                > didn't really know why it was there, so I was just guessing.
                >
                > Rich

                What I did was to make room for it knowing it would pronbably not be
                needed !
                In the absence of a physical device to test the software with I had
                to errr on the side of caution, because although the sockets aren't
                multiplexed, they use fast PWM in things like the fade routine, which
                is similar to muxing when looked at in terms of switching.

                I didn't have aproblem with the B7971's wiht this system and am quite
                sure the ZM1350 will be just as good as that and not need the keep
                alive, but it's there for now, just in case.

                Perhaps after all I'll leave the tracks there because now that I've
                looked at it a second time, removing that resistor will not make the
                board any smaller.