Re: 16 segment LED smartsocket?

  • John
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
      More importantly, the logic out of the PIC in inverted vs the standard LED that's available which is common-anode, just like the B7971. If you look closely at the picture of my display brick, you'll see the transistors. No base resistors however as I used MFETs instead of NPNs.

      If a board is to be laid out, then switching the signals around with vias is not a big deal and the FETs can be SOT23 which would make the board only as big as the display.

      jt

      > So my question is can the code for the smartsocket be changed easily enough to make segment k come out of say PORTA,5 instead of PORTC,2? If the outputs can be rearranged, then this could be a possibility!
    • bruce bilson
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
        I can't find the files.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jpt@...> wrote:

          > More importantly, the logic out of the PIC in inverted...

          Yeah, I found that out when I connected the LED on a breadboard! So I have some new common cathode segmented LED's on order.

          > If a board is to be laid out, then switching the signals around with vias is not a big deal...

          I was aiming to avoid making a PCB (I do the Toner Transfer method at home, which I don't think it is up for fine traces and vias!) and see if I can do it using some perfboard.

          I have had a look at the picbasic code, where you define variables for the segments eg: sega var PORTA.0, is this where you would change which segments go to which ports?
          As you can probably tell, I am more of a hardware man than software! I have the pickit2 to be able to burn hex files to chips, but when looking at code, it is another language to me!

          Cheers.
          Simon

          PS. Looking forward to getting some IV-4/IV-17 smartsockets going as well!
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
            On 1 Mar 2010, at 21:32, shklaw75 wrote:

            --- In smartsockets@ yahoogroups. com, "John" <jpt@...> wrote:

            > More importantly, the logic out of the PIC in inverted...

            Yeah, I found that out when I connected the LED on a breadboard! So I have some new common cathode segmented LED's on order.

            > If a board is to be laid out, then switching the signals around with vias is not a big deal...

            I was aiming to avoid making a PCB (I do the Toner Transfer method at home, which I don't think it is up for fine traces and vias!) and see if I can do it using some perfboard.

            I have had a look at the picbasic code, where you define variables for the segments eg: sega var PORTA.0, is this where you would change which segments go to which ports?
            As you can probably tell, I am more of a hardware man than software! I have the pickit2 to be able to burn hex files to chips, but when looking at code, it is another language to me!

            Cheers.
            Simon

            PS. Looking forward to getting some IV-4/IV-17 smartsockets going as well!

            JS Design
            54 Brambledown Road
            Wallington
            Surrey
            SM6 0TF

            T+F +44 (0)20 8773 4779
            www.jsdesign.co.uk

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
              On 1 Mar 2010, at 21:32, shklaw75 wrote:

              > I have had a look at the picbasic code, where you define variables
              > for the segments eg: sega var PORTA.0, is this where you would
              > change which segments go to which ports?
              > As you can probably tell, I am more of a hardware man than
              > software! I have the pickit2 to be able to burn hex files to chips,
              > but when looking at code, it is another language to me!
              >
              > Cheers.
              > Simon

              Yes it is Simon. It's simply easier to remember what port pin does
              what if you give it a more meaningful variable name. If Chris is too
              busy I can probably swap the ports around for you in PICBASIC and
              send you a new hex file.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

                > Cheers.
                > Simon
                >
                > PS. Looking forward to getting some IV-4/IV-17 smartsockets going as well!

                I'm still working through various bits of code and various functions to enhance the basic device. Maybe I should create two distinct versions, one which does not have the clock or the 'Letterplay' functions but is instead just a simple 4 tube display, and another seperate with the bells and whistles. Anyway, I have got the RTC section working well, and am toying with a few time display ideas.

                Does anyone have a favourite way of displaying the time on 4 tubes ?

                Once I have that working I only need to produce a few routines for the letterplay stuff and attach a physical user user interface, which will be either a rotary encoder with pushbutton, or capacitive touch sensing pads.
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

                  > Yes it is Simon. It's simply easier to remember what port pin does
                  > what if you give it a more meaningful variable name. If Chris is too
                  > busy I can probably swap the ports around for you in PICBASIC and
                  > send you a new hex file.
                  >
                  > John S

                  Thanks for the kind offer John. I will drop you an email once I have tested the new displays and worked out what needs to go to what.

                  Cheers.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010

                    > Maybe I should create two distinct versions, one which does not have the clock or the 'Letterplay' functions but is instead just a simple 4 tube display, and another seperate with the bells and whistles. Anyway, I have got the RTC section working well, and am toying with a few time display ideas.

                    I think two versions would be great, a simple 4 tube display to receive data from PC/serial source/other smart sockets and another version with the extra features.

                    Cheers.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                      On 2 Mar 2010, at 08:23, shklaw75 wrote:

                      --- In smartsockets@ yahoogroups. com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@.. .> wrote:

                      > Yes it is Simon. It's simply easier to remember what port pin does
                      > what if you give it a more meaningful variable name. If Chris is too
                      > busy I can probably swap the ports around for you in PICBASIC and
                      > send you a new hex file.
                      >
                      > John S

                      Thanks for the kind offer John. I will drop you an email once I have tested the new displays and worked out what needs to go to what.

                      Cheers.
                      Simon

                      OK, no probs. Where are you getting your blue starbursts from? Me I very much want.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

                        > OK, no probs. Where are you getting your blue starbursts from? Me I
                        > very much want.
                        >
                        > John S

                        Hehe, it is not actually a blue starburst, it is reflections of blue leds of ones own charlieplex clock! With all the looking around I have been doing looking for 16 segment displays, I have not come across blue versions, they would be fantastic!
                      • andybiker2
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

                          > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > OK, no probs. Where are you getting your blue starbursts from? Me I
                          > > very much want.
                          > >
                          > > John S
                          > >

                          > Hehe, it is not actually a blue starburst, it is reflections of blue leds of ones own charlieplex clock! With all the looking around I have been doing looking for 16 segment displays, I have not come across blue versions, they would be fantastic!

                          http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/378

                          Like This?
                          now where can we get them easily?
                          Andrew
                        • David Chambers
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 4, 2010
                            Hi,
                            I have used Lc-led, they are very good. I made a series of 1 digit
                            clocks using their big 4" led displays. Use the "sample" option.

                            Regards, David