16 segment LED smartsocket?

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1 4:08 AM
      Hello peoples,

      After seeing John Taylor's segmented LED test bed, I thought it would be cool if you can make a mini smartsocket for the 16 segment LED's.

      The idea I thought about was to mount the PIC16F690 in a socket on some perfboard (or a PCB), mount some single inline headers on either side of the PIC for the 16 segment display (spaced to suit the display) and then join the display pin to the adjacent output of the PIC via a SMD resistor (choosing a value to keep the current to about 10mA or lower per segment, ~160mA total. The PIC16F690 datasheet says the I/O pins can handle a maximum of 25mA and the maximum current for PORTA, PORTB and PORTC combined is 200mA.

      By driving the segments directly from the PIC, we can loose the transistors and reduce the overall footprint of the smartsocket.

      One obvious problem with this is that it wont work as the outputs of the PIC drive specific segments of the B7971 and the segment order is different for the LED display.

      So my question is can the code for the smartsocket be changed easily enough to make segment k come out of say PORTA,5 instead of PORTC,2? If the outputs can be rearranged, then this could be a possibility!

      I have uploaded a photo to my flickr account to show the idea of the mounting and also a image of the eagle PCB concept.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrlaw/4397445175/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrlaw/4397453453/

      Cheers.
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1 5:11 AM
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

        > Hello peoples,
        >
        > After seeing John Taylor's segmented LED test bed, I thought it would be cool if you can make a mini smartsocket for the 16 segment LED's.
        > Cheers.
        > Simon

        Go for it Simon. All the source code, in Picbasic, is in the files section along with the .ASM and .HEX files

        I was tempted to build the IV-4 Smartsocket which I am currently working on using 16-seg LED's just to get past the prototyping stage and think LED's would look good on a large scale, as well as the small size which I had in mind.

        Chris
      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1 7:12 AM
          More importantly, the logic out of the PIC in inverted vs the standard LED that's available which is common-anode, just like the B7971. If you look closely at the picture of my display brick, you'll see the transistors. No base resistors however as I used MFETs instead of NPNs.

          If a board is to be laid out, then switching the signals around with vias is not a big deal and the FETs can be SOT23 which would make the board only as big as the display.

          jt

          > So my question is can the code for the smartsocket be changed easily enough to make segment k come out of say PORTA,5 instead of PORTC,2? If the outputs can be rearranged, then this could be a possibility!
        • bruce bilson
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1 7:12 AM
            I can't find the files.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1 1:32 PM
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jpt@...> wrote:

              > More importantly, the logic out of the PIC in inverted...

              Yeah, I found that out when I connected the LED on a breadboard! So I have some new common cathode segmented LED's on order.

              > If a board is to be laid out, then switching the signals around with vias is not a big deal...

              I was aiming to avoid making a PCB (I do the Toner Transfer method at home, which I don't think it is up for fine traces and vias!) and see if I can do it using some perfboard.

              I have had a look at the picbasic code, where you define variables for the segments eg: sega var PORTA.0, is this where you would change which segments go to which ports?
              As you can probably tell, I am more of a hardware man than software! I have the pickit2 to be able to burn hex files to chips, but when looking at code, it is another language to me!

              Cheers.
              Simon

              PS. Looking forward to getting some IV-4/IV-17 smartsockets going as well!
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1 1:39 PM
                On 1 Mar 2010, at 21:32, shklaw75 wrote:

                --- In smartsockets@ yahoogroups. com, "John" <jpt@...> wrote:

                > More importantly, the logic out of the PIC in inverted...

                Yeah, I found that out when I connected the LED on a breadboard! So I have some new common cathode segmented LED's on order.

                > If a board is to be laid out, then switching the signals around with vias is not a big deal...

                I was aiming to avoid making a PCB (I do the Toner Transfer method at home, which I don't think it is up for fine traces and vias!) and see if I can do it using some perfboard.

                I have had a look at the picbasic code, where you define variables for the segments eg: sega var PORTA.0, is this where you would change which segments go to which ports?
                As you can probably tell, I am more of a hardware man than software! I have the pickit2 to be able to burn hex files to chips, but when looking at code, it is another language to me!

                Cheers.
                Simon

                PS. Looking forward to getting some IV-4/IV-17 smartsockets going as well!

                JS Design
                54 Brambledown Road
                Wallington
                Surrey
                SM6 0TF

                T+F +44 (0)20 8773 4779
                www.jsdesign.co.uk

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 1:41 PM
                  On 1 Mar 2010, at 21:32, shklaw75 wrote:

                  > I have had a look at the picbasic code, where you define variables
                  > for the segments eg: sega var PORTA.0, is this where you would
                  > change which segments go to which ports?
                  > As you can probably tell, I am more of a hardware man than
                  > software! I have the pickit2 to be able to burn hex files to chips,
                  > but when looking at code, it is another language to me!
                  >
                  > Cheers.
                  > Simon

                  Yes it is Simon. It's simply easier to remember what port pin does
                  what if you give it a more meaningful variable name. If Chris is too
                  busy I can probably swap the ports around for you in PICBASIC and
                  send you a new hex file.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1 3:15 PM
                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

                    > Cheers.
                    > Simon
                    >
                    > PS. Looking forward to getting some IV-4/IV-17 smartsockets going as well!

                    I'm still working through various bits of code and various functions to enhance the basic device. Maybe I should create two distinct versions, one which does not have the clock or the 'Letterplay' functions but is instead just a simple 4 tube display, and another seperate with the bells and whistles. Anyway, I have got the RTC section working well, and am toying with a few time display ideas.

                    Does anyone have a favourite way of displaying the time on 4 tubes ?

                    Once I have that working I only need to produce a few routines for the letterplay stuff and attach a physical user user interface, which will be either a rotary encoder with pushbutton, or capacitive touch sensing pads.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2 12:23 AM
                      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

                      > Yes it is Simon. It's simply easier to remember what port pin does
                      > what if you give it a more meaningful variable name. If Chris is too
                      > busy I can probably swap the ports around for you in PICBASIC and
                      > send you a new hex file.
                      >
                      > John S

                      Thanks for the kind offer John. I will drop you an email once I have tested the new displays and worked out what needs to go to what.

                      Cheers.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 2 1:09 AM

                        > Maybe I should create two distinct versions, one which does not have the clock or the 'Letterplay' functions but is instead just a simple 4 tube display, and another seperate with the bells and whistles. Anyway, I have got the RTC section working well, and am toying with a few time display ideas.

                        I think two versions would be great, a simple 4 tube display to receive data from PC/serial source/other smart sockets and another version with the extra features.

                        Cheers.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 2 12:26 PM
                          On 2 Mar 2010, at 08:23, shklaw75 wrote:

                          --- In smartsockets@ yahoogroups. com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@.. .> wrote:

                          > Yes it is Simon. It's simply easier to remember what port pin does
                          > what if you give it a more meaningful variable name. If Chris is too
                          > busy I can probably swap the ports around for you in PICBASIC and
                          > send you a new hex file.
                          >
                          > John S

                          Thanks for the kind offer John. I will drop you an email once I have tested the new displays and worked out what needs to go to what.

                          Cheers.
                          Simon

                          OK, no probs. Where are you getting your blue starbursts from? Me I very much want.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 3 2:50 AM
                            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

                            > OK, no probs. Where are you getting your blue starbursts from? Me I
                            > very much want.
                            >
                            > John S

                            Hehe, it is not actually a blue starburst, it is reflections of blue leds of ones own charlieplex clock! With all the looking around I have been doing looking for 16 segment displays, I have not come across blue versions, they would be fantastic!
                          • andybiker2
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 3 3:34 AM
                              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "shklaw75" <shklaw75@...> wrote:

                              > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > OK, no probs. Where are you getting your blue starbursts from? Me I
                              > > very much want.
                              > >
                              > > John S
                              > >

                              > Hehe, it is not actually a blue starburst, it is reflections of blue leds of ones own charlieplex clock! With all the looking around I have been doing looking for 16 segment displays, I have not come across blue versions, they would be fantastic!

                              http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/378

                              Like This?
                              now where can we get them easily?
                              Andrew
                            • David Chambers
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 4 1:06 AM
                                Hi,
                                I have used Lc-led, they are very good. I made a series of 1 digit
                                clocks using their big 4" led displays. Use the "sample" option.

                                Regards, David