RE: [smartsockets] ZM1350 pcb, comments please

  • David Chambers
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2007
      Hi Chris,
      Design looks fine to me! So easy to forget mounting holes, and hole for the nipple - all looks good.
      I prefer the compact design as you have done it.

      All the best,
      David
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2007
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

        > To the people interested in a ZM1350 design pcb, could you please let
        > me know your thoughts on the design which I have just posted in the
        > files section 'ZM1350 prov', it's a jpeg image of the proposed layout.
        >
        > I have kept the board narrow to allow close spacing of each display
        > element, and had to extend each end to make room for the mounting
        > screws. The side of the pcb on display is the component side, as long
        > as component leads are cropped short after soldering they shoudln't
        > interfere with the ZM1350 which will be mounted on the reverse side.
        > There is a small flange on the pin receptacles which I use as well as
        > a flange at the top of each connector pin where it meets the body of
        > the ZM1350 so there should be just enough room to do this.
        >
        > The only other alternative is to mount the resistors and transistors
        > above and below the ZM1350's footprint which would mean a larger,
        > more cumbersome and more expensive board.
        >
        > If you have any comments before I put this out to the prototypers
        > please let me know !
        >
        > Chris

        The layout looks great to me. The hole for the glass nipple looks
        small, though.

        I just measured one of mine - it was 0.16 inches, the hole on the
        layout looks to be a couple of hundreths smaller than that. The part
        also has some sealant material at the base of the nipple which makes
        it a little larger - approx 0.18 inches.

        You seem to have the room, so I'd make it bigger - which would also
        help if the pins were slightly bent or misaligned.

        Rich
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2007
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

          > The layout looks great to me. The hole for the glass nipple looks
          > small, though.

          Thanks Rich, yes I should have said that the reason that there is
          such a large space around the nipple hole is so that i can enlarge it
          later, as I do with the B7971 pcb's.

          thge board house I used last and will probably use this time wanted
          more money for the extra large drillings so I just mark the point
          with a 3mm hole and expand it later for myself. The datasheet
          specifies a maximum of 8.5mm and that looks like it will fit well
          enough.

          I'll take your and David's comments as confirmation that at first
          glance all seems well enough to go ahead and order a batch. I'll keep
          you posted as things progress.

          Cheers