Re: A new smartsocket command - delayed digits

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9, 2010
      > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jpt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You can in-circuit-program these when the PIC is soldered in...
      > >
      > > http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/Circuits/1386SmartSocket/B7971ICSP.pdf
      > >
      > > The 33K base resistors were used for two reasons:
      > > 1. Lower 5V current draw
      > > 2. Less load on the ICSP-DAT line allowing in circuit programming.
      > >
      > > jt
      > >

      > That is a great idea there, John.
      >
      > I am toying with the new IV-17 Smartsocket and want to take the surface mount component route. That means ICSP should also be allowed for.

      The only pin that is REALLY load sensitive is the ICSPDAT pin as it is bi-directional data. The clock is input only and usually driven pretty hard so is typically more tolerant to loading. I have found that using the ICSP pins to drive a small signal FET gate or high impedance (33K) BJT will usually allow them to have their function doubled up without a problem... and it really comes in handy if you forget to program the part before soldering it in.

      jt