New UDC write command format WAS Re: [smartsockets]Where and what? B7971

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 3, 2010
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jpt@...> wrote:
      There is no way for a master to know whether a slave is happy with its data.

      > jt

      No there isn't, but the user will be able to tell if they are happy with the results or not.I'm not trying to be ignorant but this isn't a safety critical application.

      The eeprom write command is unlike the other display commands because it is likely that the programmer will write them one at a time and test them immediately afterwards, noticing any details at that time.

      Also, any data errors will show up as general bad performance and the unit not working very well, if at all.

      The eeprom write command still uses the '$B7' header , which is still checked as it arrives, and if those characters are received intact the write command is allowed to proceed. If there are data errors then all the other commands like $B7E, $B7M, etc will be affected too and the user will deal with those problems in their usual manner.

      I could add a simple XOR-ing checksum with very little trouble, if it is generally felt that data reliability is an area of concern, but my own experience leads me to believe that if you can send ordinary $B7M commands and the display works properly then there is nothing wrong with the data transmission.