Latest IV-17 video

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
      Scrappy, but demonstrating that things are working well !

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C--lGHB4WJg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
        Looking good Chris. Well done. I am sure lots of people will want to
        build this one.

        What PIC did you settle on again? I'll order some in, in anticipation.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

          > Looking good Chris. Well done. I am sure lots of people will want to
          > build this one.
          >
          > What PIC did you settle on again? I'll order some in, in anticipation.
          >
          > John S

          It's on the PIC18F4620 now but I think I'll finish up with the 18F2525 due to the lower pin count (and is also available in DIP28 and programmable with a Pickit2). It also requires a 10MHz crystal with two 33pF crystals and an HV5812 (or Allegro A6812 or equivalent) source driver.

          I also need to connect up the two decimal points and invent a couple of commands for them.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

            > Looking good Chris. Well done. I am sure lots of people will want to
            > build this one.
            >
            > What PIC did you settle on again? I'll order some in, in anticipation.
            >
            > John S

            In fact, at second look the 18F25J10 looks to be half the cost of the 18F2525 and does essentially the same things.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
              > > What PIC did you settle on again? I'll order some in, in anticipation.
              > >
              > > John S
              > >

              > ..... at second look the 18F25J10 looks to be half the cost of the 18F2525 and does essentially the same things.

              I hope you didn't buy any chips yet John, I've come to look more closely now at processor requirements and found the 18F25j10 has no eeprom. The next best I can find is the 18F26K20, which has enough eeprom to allow 255 UDC's per digit. I was trying to steer clear of these 3.3V parts because of the added cost of the voltage regulator which each board would need to step 5V down to 3.3V, but then again it may be possible to run the 18F26K20 without a crystal and then it becomes the cheapest option.

              The most straightforward solution is the 18F2525. I think I need to get in some samples now.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
                I've just ordered up the following samples from Microchip

                PIC18F26K20-I/SP.......MCU (Programmable with Pickit 2)
                (In Stock) 3

                TC1107-3.3VOA..........Voltage regulator
                (In Stock) 3

                I am 99% confident that these will be the same parts I use in the final design, and only the part packages may change.

                Of course, the full prototype code is available on the current 18F4620 if anyone wishes to try it before I port the code over.