B7971 - Smart Program DOS avail.

  • michail1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
      Recently I got 15x B7971 tubes.
      I have now ordered socket kits for them.

      I can't seem to find a program to run them other than premade/pre-programmed chips to do things like a clock, etc.

      I was hoping to find out if there is a program available to run them.

      Basically, like a Basic (gwbasic, whatever) to open the port and send a string/clock string, etc to them.
      Would be nice if basic as I would then be able to simply connect a old beat up computer with bootable USB DOS disk and start the program to start displaying whatever.

      Thanks all,

      Michail

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

        > Recently I got 15x B7971 tubes.
        > I have now ordered socket kits for them.
        >
        > I can't seem to find a program to run them other than
        > premade/pre-programmed chips to do things like a clock, etc.
        >
        > I was hoping to find out if there is a program available to run them.
        >
        > Basically, like a Basic (gwbasic, whatever) to open the port and send a
        > string/clock string, etc to them.
        > Would be nice if basic as I would then be able to simply connect a old beat
        > up computer with bootable USB DOS disk and start the program to start
        > displaying whatever.
        >
        > Thanks all,
        >
        > Michail

        Sounds like a good project Michail.
        If you are determined to use a serial datastream then you have two options, either use the smartsockets, or roll something of your own.
        To my knowledge there is no hardware interface which can let you do it 'all in one go' at the moment.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
          Dear Michail,

          Try to look a bit further.
          A Smartsocket can drive one tube.
          And a string of smartsockets can be driven from any processor that can create
          a serial datastreem.
          So even a PC will do fine. Just make sure to convert the RS232 levels to
          TTL for the smartsocket.

        • John Rehwinkel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
            > Basically, like a Basic (gwbasic, whatever) to open the port and send a string/clock string, etc to them.
            > Would be nice if basic as I would then be able to simply connect a old beat up computer with bootable USB DOS disk and start the program to start displaying whatever.

            I'd probably use a tiny BSD (or even Linux) boot disk for this sort of use. These days, probably on an old 8MB CF card connected to the IDE controller. I'd give it a go, but none of my Intel boxes have any serial ports, and a version for my other computers would do you no good. I suppose I could try it with a USB serial port.

            - John
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

              > Recently I got 15x B7971 tubes.
              > I have now ordered socket kits for them.
              >
              > I can't seem to find a program to run them other than
              > premade/pre-programmed chips to do things like a clock, etc.
              >
              > I was hoping to find out if there is a program available to run them.
              >
              > Basically, like a Basic (gwbasic, whatever) to open the port and send a
              > string/clock string, etc to them.

              Michail, don't forget that you can use Windows Hyperterminal to do this.
              At one time I was using that exclusively to test Smartockets. Under one of the menus is an option to send a file, I used to create files of instrictions and transmit it to the Smartsockets via the serial port and a level shifter.

              Aftter that I used a terminal program (forgotten it's name now) which let the user insert pauses between commands , like we used to do when we used to have to connect to the internet and BBS's, and finally I used a Psion 5mx to do that simply because it was portable.

              There are plenty of terminal programs which you can boot up and start sending commands with straight away, and I would recommend one which supports scripts/file transfers, too

              Chris
            • y2kvaguy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

                > Recently I got 15x B7971 tubes.
                > I have now ordered socket kits for them.

                Lucky you. Those suckers are hard to find.