Re: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available

  • Jan Wuesten
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
      To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
      From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
      Date sent: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:54:31 -0000
      Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
      Send reply to: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com

      > Hi, Jan -
      > Yeah, I exchanged messages with you and you mentioned "over-" something, and I forgot if it was current or voltage, and was unsure about how much. I don't know if the power supplies I'm using will go as much as 25% over-voltage (212v), but they may approach that.
      >
      > I read a rather detailed web page about testing of the ZM1350 tubes, and I'm pretty sure it was one of your pages. You documented the effects of various "error" conditions, for example, what too little or too much voltage did to the display's appearance. Similarly, how to see when you have enough (but not too much) current. It was a very informative discussion, but when I tried to find it again, I couldn't. (sometimes I get too absorbed in the reading, and forget to set a bookmark) There were also
      links to a couple of videos showing the "dancing segments" test on a
      good display, and the visually interesting "dancing segments" that
      resulted from a badly poisoned display. It was the kind of thing
      that looks really cool, but is probably very difficult to reproduce.
      I'd like to find that page again.

      if it was mine it´s www.askjanfirst.com/zm1350.htm

      > I may have mentioned that I'm a product of the
      age of transistors and IC's. I don't know how hard or
      easy it is to "kill" a ZM1350, but I'd rather not perform
      any destructive testing. If I have to burn them
      in for a while at elevated voltage, that's fine,
      I just don't want to cause damage.

      it won´t.

      its far easier to destroy if you drop it from the table ;-))

      > I'm going to be running these displays unmultiplexed
      because it's said to be easier on the displays.
      You don't have to drive them as hard if they're always on,
      and you don't have the mechanical stress of switching.
      (Apparently, the segments can make noise if switched
      hard at audio frequencies.)

      this is far more of concern with usual nixies as their electrodes are
      hanging free.
      The ZM1350 electrodes are tied to the bootom plate of the tube and
      should be quiet.

      > Well, I'm off to try to find code to emulate something
      like a FLW/clock.

      there is some stuff in the neonixie-L- archives

      Jan

      Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

      Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten

      Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
      Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
      Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
      <http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
      mail to <FJZ@...> or <FJZ@...>
      HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
      Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten
      Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
      Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
      Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

      Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>