Re: ZM-1350 boards?

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
      wrote:

      > On 11 Mar 2007, at 19:31, gopstein wrote:
      > > I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350
      because of
      > > the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a
      try,
      > > but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were
      going
      > > to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
      > > ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the
      layout...
      > > And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if
      you'd be
      > > willing to have them fabricated.
      > >
      > > Rich
      > I would also like a set of these.
      >
      > I can do a pcb layout if you are too busy, Chris.
      >
      > That's a bummer about Zetalink. Ray is a nice guy, but he's in a
      hole
      > at other people's expense.
      >
      > Rich, the smartsockets work really well.
      >
      > John

      Hi John,
      For me the biggest hurdlle isn't to do the layout but to make an
      accurate part template in Eagle. I'm only guessing that it isn't just
      a case of joining up the dots though.

      If you want to go for it please keep me posted.
      I'm working on the new B7917 pcb, which means re-assigning some of
      the pins to different segments. The code will need to be changed to
      reflect the changes tothe hardware but that's trivial, although it
      will mean that there will be two versions of software to watch out
      for.

      The ZM1350 version would probably need to only have the same changes,
      so that the pinouts of the PIC and the ZM1350 can be made to have
      some conformity in order to optimise the PCB to be small and tightly
      packed.

      Chris
    • Matt Gorbet
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
        Hey Chris,

        If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely buy
        some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find enough
        7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.

        I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
        minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just different
        resistors, same code right?

        <M>

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 12, 2007
          Hi Matt,
          Okay then I'll try to get another batch done as soon as possible.

          I relaid the board on Eagle lastnight, and so far I've managed to shave
          a quarter inch off all around, and hopefully a bit more.

          Yes, everything will work exactly the same for any 14 segment display.

          I'm a bit busy with University work this week but it's going to stick
          in my mind that I need to get it finished.

          Chris

          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Gorbet" <mgonline@...> wrote:

          > Hey Chris,
          >
          > If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely
          buy
          > some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find
          enough
          > 7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.
          >
          > I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
          > minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just
          different
          > resistors, same code right?

        • Matt Gorbet
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2007
            Thanks - no rush, hoping to get the tubes first anyway... :)

            <M>

            On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:57:10 -0000, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> said:
            > Hi Matt,
            > Okay then I'll try to get another batch done as soon as possible.
            >
            > I relaid the board on Eagle lastnight, and so far I've managed to shave
            > a quarter inch off all around, and hopefully a bit more.
            >
            > Yes, everything will work exactly the same for any 14 segment display.
            >
            > I'm a bit busy with University work this week but it's going to stick
            > in my mind that I need to get it finished.
            >
            > Chris
            >

            > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Gorbet" <mgonline@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hey Chris,
            > >
            > > If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely
            > buy
            > > some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find
            > enough
            > > 7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.
            > >
            > > I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
            > > minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just
            > different
            > > resistors, same code right?

          • gopstein
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
              Chris,

              Looks like your ZM-1350 Eagle library part is perfect. I printed it
              out 1:1 and the pins on the real device lined up fine. Thanks!

              Rich
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

                > Chris,
                >
                > Looks like your ZM-1350 Eagle library part is perfect. I printed it
                > out 1:1 and the pins on the real device lined up fine. Thanks!
                >
                > Rich

                Thanks for that Rich, I was about to order a ZM1350 because I thought
                that would be the best way tot est it, your test has reassured me a
                great deal.
                I worked down to 0.1mm whcih ought to be accurate enough where socket
                pin receptacles which have a tolerance greater than that are used.

                The board shop I want to use will only acccept Gerber format and not
                Eagle, and they say there seems to be a problem with my Gerber output
                which I created using the Eagle 'Cam processor' plug-in.

                I will try to convert it again today at the University, on one machne
                i have access to there are several bespoke PCB creation packages
                which, if I can make them work, should solve the problem !