Betr: Re: Betr: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 24, 2010
      It is sometimes difficult to read and also understand.
      This has been cleared by now.

      Guus

      >To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
      >From: "Jan Wuesten" <fjz@...>
      >Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:53:31 +0100
      >Subject: Re: Betr: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
      >

      >?? :-)
      >

      >Jan
      >

      >> Where did you buy the PCB's ?
      >>
      >> BR/
      >> Guus
      >>
      >> >To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
      >> >From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
      >> >Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:04:10 -0000
      >> >Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
      >> > I was hoping that the documentation in the files area on this group
      >> would
      >> >apply, but apparently, the boards I have are a respin and the reference
      >> designators
      >> >appear to have changed. Where can I find an up-to-date schematic and
      >assembly
    • y2kvaguy
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
        I just got them from Jan Wuesten.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
          That's the info I was looking for. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

          -M

          > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@> wrote:
          >
          > > I would also be interested in the voltage and current levels others are using to drive the ZM1350 tube in a non-multiplexed configuration. I've been trying different levels of both current and voltage, and the tubes I have tried can't light up the length of any segment completely without bleeding and generally looking like a poisoned tube.
          > > -M
          > >

          > The cathode resistor values were selected for a voltage of 170V and with a wire link fitted in place of an anode resistor.For that reason your starting point should be a voltage of 170V and no anode resistor.
          >
          > I have had a couple of zm1350's which behaved similarly to yours, and I ran them at about 25% over voltage for an hour which seemed to wake them up

        • y2kvaguy
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
            I'll check that again, but I have to run off to work just now. Over the weekend, I went ahead and traced out the board and compared it to schematics I could find. I matched up the resistor values to each segment and mapped that onto my boards. I was unable to determine a definitive reference designator for some of the resistors, but I was able to make sure each segment had the correct value based on older schematics. I'm waiting on the switching transistors to arrive, and when those come, I'll try to fire these up. I also need to figure out how to daisy chain these, since the config is updated from the schematics I've seen so far. Thanks all for the help. I'll try to post results when I get these puppies running.

            -M

            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, michail1@... wrote:

            > I looked at the link you provided to the website.
            >
            > There is a link to the schematic on it.
            > _http://www.askjanfirst.com/dindex.htm?/r5.htm_
            > (http://www.askjanfirst.com/dindex.htm?/r5.htm)
            >

            > In a message dated 1/23/2010 2:05:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, y2kvaguy
            > @... writes:
            >

            > Jan, et al -
            > smartsockets. I located a source for suitable pins for the ZM1350 that I'm using,
            > and got those soldered in.
            >
            > I was hoping that the documentation in the files area on this group would
            > apply, but apparently, the boards I have are a respin and the reference
            > designators appear to have changed. Where can I find an up-to-date schematic
            > and assembly drawing for these new boards? I checked your (Jan's) website,
            > and eventually the links led to this discussion group. I'm capable of
            > reverse-engineering the PCB and figuring it out myself, but that's a real hassle
            > that I'd like to avoid.
            >
            > I would also be interested in the voltage and current levels others are
            > using to drive the ZM1350 tube in a non-multiplexed configuration. I've been
            > trying different levels of both current and voltage, and the tubes I have
            > tried can't light up the length of any segment completely without bleeding
            > and generally looking like a poisoned tube. I've only tried 2 of the 10 I've
            > purchased, just in case there's something I've done to wreck them. I'm
            > pretty savvy about electronics, but I don't have a lot of specific experience
            > with nixie tubes. I'd really like to get these ZM1350 tubes working, though.
            > I'm powering them with a neonixie supply that is adjustable from about
            > 135-190vdc, and I haven't taken it over about 160.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > -M
            >
            > --- In _smartsockets@smartsocketssma_ (mailto:smartsockets@yahoogroups.com)
            > , "Jan Wuesten" <fjz@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Group,
            > >
            > > I am happy to announce that the Smartsockets for the ZM1350 Nixie
            > > Varisymbol (Telefunken) are available from stock now.
            > >
            > > We supply
            > >
            > > tubes ZM 1350
            > > the Smartsocket PCB, modified and improved, see below for
            > > modification
            > > the PIC programmed with the software.
            > >
            > > All info, pricing etc. on our site:
            > >
            > > www.askjanfirst. www.askjan
            > >
            > > right below the scopeclock chapter.

          • Jan Wuesten
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010

              > > I have had a couple of zm1350's which behaved similarly to yours, and I ran them at about 25% over voltage for an hour which seemed to wake them up

              Hello,

              in fact I check them all on the original factory tester and many many
              have flawless lightup but at slightly higher voltages, they seem to
              be quite prone to "in the shelf cathode poisoning".
              I do not sell any that do not light all segments properly or even
              miss segments.
              With slight overvoltage they will recover easily.

              Jan

              Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

              Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten

              Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
              Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
              Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
              <http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
              mail to <FJZ@...> or <FJZ@...>
              HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
              Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten
              Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
              Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
              Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

              Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                The PCB's are my design.
                And Jan has put all of the documentation on line.
                There's a partlist, with resistor number and value.
                Also the board has numbers with all components. (One or two may be hard to
                read)
                But to help that, there's a PDF with all components marked as well.

                Be carefull with T7, the component outline is wrong. (E and C must be changed)
                Look where the Emitter is located.

                Interconnection is also simple. Just connect the adjecent sides 1 to 1.
                Pin 12 to the processor is the data input for the string.

                BR/
                Guus Assmann

                >From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
                >Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:42:16 -0000
                >Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available

                > I'll check that again, but I have to run off to work just now. Over the
                >weekend, I went ahead and traced out the board and compared it to schematics
                >I could find. I matched up the resistor values to each segment and mapped
                >that onto my boards. I was unable to determine a definitive reference designator
                >-M

              • y2kvaguy
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                  Hi, Jan -
                  Yeah, I exchanged messages with you and you mentioned "over-" something, and I forgot if it was current or voltage, and was unsure about how much. I don't know if the power supplies I'm using will go as much as 25% over-voltage (212v), but they may approach that.

                  I read a rather detailed web page about testing of the ZM1350 tubes, and I'm pretty sure it was one of your pages. You documented the effects of various "error" conditions, for example, what too little or too much voltage did to the display's appearance. Similarly, how to see when you have enough (but not too much) current. It was a very informative discussion, but when I tried to find it again, I couldn't. (sometimes I get too absorbed in the reading, and forget to set a bookmark) There were also links to a couple of videos showing the "dancing segments" test on a good display, and the visually interesting "dancing segments" that resulted from a badly poisoned display. It was the kind of thing that looks really cool, but is probably very difficult to reproduce. I'd like to find that page again.

                  I may have mentioned that I'm a product of the age of transistors and IC's. I don't know how hard or easy it is to "kill" a ZM1350, but I'd rather not perform any destructive testing. If I have to burn them in for a while at elevated voltage, that's fine, I just don't want to cause damage.

                  I'm going to be running these displays unmultiplexed because it's said to be easier on the displays. You don't have to drive them as hard if they're always on, and you don't have the mechanical stress of switching. (Apparently, the segments can make noise if switched hard at audio frequencies.)

                  Well, I'm off to try to find code to emulate something like a FLW/clock. Thanks for the help, folks.

                  -M

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                    Doh! That schematic isn't up to date. That schematic shows J1 with 5 pins. I don't have a board with me to compare reference designators, but my boards have J1 and J2, each of which has 4 pins, rather than 5. I've figured out where to wire the power supplies, but not which pins are "data in" versus "data out." I suppose I can find out via experimentation.

                    Aside from the documentation, I like these Smartsockets. There was obviously a bit of thought that went into the design, and they're nice and compact. I dismantled an old 68030 PGA socket (remember those?) and used the pins for my ZM1350s. They're a nice snug fit on the pins, and they work well in the Smartsocket. Note: if anyone else tries this approach, make sure that the pins will fit the ZM1350 BEFORE going to all the trouble. I have more than one of these sockets, and not all of them will accept the pins of the ZM1350.

                    Anyway, before I trash up the forum with asked-and-answered questions, I'm off to troll about the archives. Thanks for the help.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                      By the way. While the schematic isn't up to date, as I said, it's MUCH cleaner than the one I had. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                        To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
                        From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
                        Date sent: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:54:31 -0000
                        Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
                        Send reply to: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com

                        if it was mine it´s www.askjanfirst.com/zm1350.htm

                        > I may have mentioned that I'm a product of the
                        age of transistors and IC's. I don't know how hard or
                        easy it is to "kill" a ZM1350, but I'd rather not perform
                        any destructive testing. If I have to burn them
                        in for a while at elevated voltage, that's fine,
                        I just don't want to cause damage.

                        it won´t.

                        its far easier to destroy if you drop it from the table ;-))

                        > I'm going to be running these displays unmultiplexed
                        because it's said to be easier on the displays.
                        You don't have to drive them as hard if they're always on,
                        and you don't have the mechanical stress of switching.
                        (Apparently, the segments can make noise if switched
                        hard at audio frequencies.)

                        this is far more of concern with usual nixies as their electrodes are
                        hanging free.
                        The ZM1350 electrodes are tied to the bootom plate of the tube and
                        should be quiet.

                        > Well, I'm off to try to find code to emulate something
                        like a FLW/clock.

                        there is some stuff in the neonixie-L- archives