Re: ZM-1350 boards?

  • gopstein
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11 12:31 PM
      > Hello there,
      > No , I haven't attempted to make any special boards just for the ZM1350.

      > The design is open source, so feel free to develop your own pcb.

      > Do you think it is worth making a seperate PCB for the ZM1350 ? If
      > anyone else has a view on this I would appreciate hearing what it is
      > because I am considering having another small run of B7971 PCB's made
      > up , so how many people would benefit from some ZM1350 versions too ?
      >
      > I don't have any ZM1350's to play with but the pinout and physical
      > dimaensions must be on a datasheet somewhere. I'ld look into doing it
      > if demand was high enough,
      >
      > Chris

      I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350 because of
      the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a try,
      but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were going
      to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
      ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the layout...
      And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if you'd be
      willing to have them fabricated.

      Rich
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11 1:45 PM
        On 11 Mar 2007, at 19:31, gopstein wrote:
        > I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350 because of
        > the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a try,
        > but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were going
        > to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
        > ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the layout...
        > And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if you'd be
        > willing to have them fabricated.
        >
        > Rich
        I would also like a set of these.

        I can do a pcb layout if you are too busy, Chris.

        That's a bummer about Zetalink. Ray is a nice guy, but he's in a hole
        at other people's expense.

        Rich, the smartsockets work really well.

        John
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11 2:31 PM
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
          wrote:

          > On 11 Mar 2007, at 19:31, gopstein wrote:
          > > I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350
          because of
          > > the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a
          try,
          > > but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were
          going
          > > to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
          > > ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the
          layout...
          > > And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if
          you'd be
          > > willing to have them fabricated.
          > >
          > > Rich
          > I would also like a set of these.
          >
          > I can do a pcb layout if you are too busy, Chris.
          >
          > That's a bummer about Zetalink. Ray is a nice guy, but he's in a
          hole
          > at other people's expense.
          >
          > Rich, the smartsockets work really well.
          >
          > John

          Hi John,
          For me the biggest hurdlle isn't to do the layout but to make an
          accurate part template in Eagle. I'm only guessing that it isn't just
          a case of joining up the dots though.

          If you want to go for it please keep me posted.
          I'm working on the new B7917 pcb, which means re-assigning some of
          the pins to different segments. The code will need to be changed to
          reflect the changes tothe hardware but that's trivial, although it
          will mean that there will be two versions of software to watch out
          for.

          The ZM1350 version would probably need to only have the same changes,
          so that the pinouts of the PIC and the ZM1350 can be made to have
          some conformity in order to optimise the PCB to be small and tightly
          packed.

          Chris
        • Matt Gorbet
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11 7:14 PM
            Hey Chris,

            If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely buy
            some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find enough
            7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.

            I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
            minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just different
            resistors, same code right?

            <M>

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12 12:57 AM
              Hi Matt,
              Okay then I'll try to get another batch done as soon as possible.

              I relaid the board on Eagle lastnight, and so far I've managed to shave
              a quarter inch off all around, and hopefully a bit more.

              Yes, everything will work exactly the same for any 14 segment display.

              I'm a bit busy with University work this week but it's going to stick
              in my mind that I need to get it finished.

              Chris

              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Gorbet" <mgonline@...> wrote:

              > Hey Chris,
              >
              > If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely
              buy
              > some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find
              enough
              > 7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.
              >
              > I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
              > minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just
              different
              > resistors, same code right?

            • Matt Gorbet
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12 1:10 AM
                Thanks - no rush, hoping to get the tubes first anyway... :)

                <M>

                On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:57:10 -0000, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> said:
                > Hi Matt,
                > Okay then I'll try to get another batch done as soon as possible.
                >
                > I relaid the board on Eagle lastnight, and so far I've managed to shave
                > a quarter inch off all around, and hopefully a bit more.
                >
                > Yes, everything will work exactly the same for any 14 segment display.
                >
                > I'm a bit busy with University work this week but it's going to stick
                > in my mind that I need to get it finished.
                >
                > Chris
                >

                > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Gorbet" <mgonline@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hey Chris,
                > >
                > > If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely
                > buy
                > > some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find
                > enough
                > > 7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.
                > >
                > > I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
                > > minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just
                > different
                > > resistors, same code right?

              • gopstein
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 14 6:54 PM
                  Chris,

                  Looks like your ZM-1350 Eagle library part is perfect. I printed it
                  out 1:1 and the pins on the real device lined up fine. Thanks!

                  Rich
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 15 1:04 AM
                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

                    > Chris,
                    >
                    > Looks like your ZM-1350 Eagle library part is perfect. I printed it
                    > out 1:1 and the pins on the real device lined up fine. Thanks!
                    >
                    > Rich

                    Thanks for that Rich, I was about to order a ZM1350 because I thought
                    that would be the best way tot est it, your test has reassured me a
                    great deal.
                    I worked down to 0.1mm whcih ought to be accurate enough where socket
                    pin receptacles which have a tolerance greater than that are used.

                    The board shop I want to use will only acccept Gerber format and not
                    Eagle, and they say there seems to be a problem with my Gerber output
                    which I created using the Eagle 'Cam processor' plug-in.

                    I will try to convert it again today at the University, on one machne
                    i have access to there are several bespoke PCB creation packages
                    which, if I can make them work, should solve the problem !