Re: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 20, 2009
      On 7 Dec 2009, at 15:53, fixitsan2 wrote:

      I'm also currently working on a new Smartsocket driver with programmable features and a built in real time clock to support the Smartsocket range.

      Hopefully I should have something useable soon.

      The IV-17/IV-4 sockets are fully programmed with the exception of the anode supply code. The driver pic also generates the PWM for the SMPS section and I need to do more work on the control algorithm to make it stable.

      If anyone would like a sneak preview of the IV-17/IV-4 version and you are not too concerned that it doesn't have it's own B+ supply, (if you can supply it with about 30V it should work(, then let me know and I'll see if I can get a schematic drawn up soon. I have yet to optimise the choice of pic, but the hardware consists of a PIC and an HV5812, as well as a couple of transistors to switch the decimal points.

      Chris

      Chris, I have a 30v supply already built and would love to have a go at building a prototype of your circuit, once you get the schematic together.

      Regards,

      John S
    • daddyvan2005
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 20, 2009

        Sounds really good and yes, I would like to get a peek at that. I'd like to get a peek at the code so maybe I could figure out how to do that part :). Those tubes will look real nice when you get them lit up.

        Dennis

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009

          > Chris, I have a 30v supply already built and would love to have a go
          > at building a prototype of your circuit, once you get the schematic
          > together.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John S

          John, there is now a PNG of the schematic and the hex file ready to flash onto a 18f4620.

          Some limitations exist in this version, firstly, the decimal points are not connected and secondly, the tubes do not enumerate themselves and assume themsleves to be numbered 1 to 4. Therefore this prototype can only be used as a display of four tubes only.

          I would appreciate some evaluation of the transition effects. I have added several new effects and will need to document them. Yoiu select them by transmitting ascii 0 through 9, and then A,B,C,D,E etc....

          There is a PWM output on pin 17 which is switching an SMPS (not on the schematic) which is available for anyone to try out. It is currently allowing me to generate 40Vdc.

          You had probably better also add the usual capacitors at the pic power supply pins, a 0.1uF and a 100uF ought to be enough.

          more documentation and hopefully a better schematic will follow soon.

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
            > John, there is now a PNG of the schematic and the hex file ready to
            > flash onto a 18f4620.

            Not sure I'll be able to order these until after Xmas now. Just for
            the record, is this PIc supported by the PICKIT2. If not I am going
            to be a bit stuffed to program the 18f4620.

            I have a PCD already etched with four paralleled IV-4s, so that's a
            good start.

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 21, 2009
              Just for
              > the record, is this PIc supported by the PICKIT2. If not I am going
              > to be a bit stuffed to program the 18f4620.
              >
              > I have a PCD already etched with four paralleled IV-4s, so that's a
              > good start.
              >
              > John S

              Yes, I am also using a Pickit2 and haven't encountered any problem

              The pcb sounds great !

              Cheers
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 10, 2010

                > Yes, I am also using a Pickit2 and haven't encountered any problem
                >
                > The pcb sounds great !
                >
                > Cheers
                > Chris

                If anyone is prototyping this code at the moment be ware that I have had to make some changes already.

                I think I will need to change the code for all smartsockets, because the choice of the 18F4620 in this project came about because it has a 40MHz oscillator (10MHz plus a X4 PLL) which extends the startup time by at least 2mS. This means that it does not work with other smartsockets because the automatic enumeration routine takes place imediately after power is applied. All code will need to be changed on all devices to allow for this slow starting device, or the IV-17/IV-4 version will have to be used only with other identical devices and therefore it would be impossible to mix display types in one array.

                Maybe it isn't such a problem and perhaps nobody cares to mix ZM1350's with B7971's and IV-17's, but I would like to standardise the protocol across the range of devices. Who knows what other devices can join the lineup in the future ?

                This is the first multiplexed smartsocket and I can see the possibility to multiplex other devices using the same code.

                Once I have the devices enumerating properly I will re release the code for this project. It really just needs the HV stabilising, but in free running mode it makes a steady 45V reliably. I would like to add some control over the voltage output, which will require the addition of some feedback and closed loop control system.

              • y2kvaguy
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 23, 2010
                  Jan, et al -
                  In response to your earlier message, I purchased some of the new smartsockets. I located a source for suitable pins for the ZM1350 that I'm using, and got those soldered in.

                  I was hoping that the documentation in the files area on this group would apply, but apparently, the boards I have are a respin and the reference designators appear to have changed. Where can I find an up-to-date schematic and assembly drawing for these new boards? I checked your (Jan's) website, and eventually the links led to this discussion group. I'm capable of reverse-engineering the PCB and figuring it out myself, but that's a real hassle that I'd like to avoid.

                  I would also be interested in the voltage and current levels others are using to drive the ZM1350 tube in a non-multiplexed configuration. I've been trying different levels of both current and voltage, and the tubes I have tried can't light up the length of any segment completely without bleeding and generally looking like a poisoned tube. I've only tried 2 of the 10 I've purchased, just in case there's something I've done to wreck them. I'm pretty savvy about electronics, but I don't have a lot of specific experience with nixie tubes. I'd really like to get these ZM1350 tubes working, though. I'm powering them with a neonixie supply that is adjustable from about 135-190vdc, and I haven't taken it over about 160.

                  Thanks in advance.

                  -M

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 23, 2010
                    Where did you buy the PCB's ?

                  • michail1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 23, 2010
                      I looked at the link you provided to the website.

                      There is a link to the schematic on it.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 24, 2010
                        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...> wrote:

                        > I would also be interested in the voltage and current levels others are using to drive the ZM1350 tube in a non-multiplexed configuration. I've been trying different levels of both current and voltage, and the tubes I have tried can't light up the length of any segment completely without bleeding and generally looking like a poisoned tube.
                        > -M

                        The cathode resistor values were selected for a voltage of 170V and with a wire link fitted in place of an anode resistor.For that reason your starting point should be a voltage of 170V and no anode resistor.

                        I have had a couple of zm1350's which behaved similarly to yours, and I ran them at about 25% over voltage for an hour which seemed to wake them up
                      • Jan Wuesten
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 24, 2010
                          ?? :-)

                          Jan

                          To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
                          From: guus.assmann@...
                          Date sent: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:48:47 +0100
                          Subject: Betr: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
                          Send reply to: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com

                          > Where did you buy the PCB's ?

                          > >To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
                          > >From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
                          > >Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:04:10 -0000
                          > >Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
                          > > I located a source for suitable pins for the ZM1350 that I'm using, and
                          > >got those soldered in.
                          > >
                          > > I was hoping that the documentation in the files area on this group
                          > would
                          > >apply, but apparently, the boards I have are a respin and the reference
                          > designators
                          > >appear to have changed. Where can I find an up-to-date schematic and assembly

                          Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

                          Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten

                          Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
                          Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
                          Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
                          <http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
                          mail to <FJZ@...> or <FJZ@...>
                          HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
                          Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten
                          Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
                          Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
                          Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

                          Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 24, 2010
                            It is sometimes difficult to read and also understand.
                            This has been cleared by now.

                            Guus

                            >To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
                            >From: "Jan Wuesten" <fjz@...>
                            >Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:53:31 +0100
                            >Subject: Re: Betr: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
                            >

                            >?? :-)
                            >

                            >Jan
                            >

                            >> Where did you buy the PCB's ?
                            >>
                            >> BR/
                            >> Guus
                            >>
                            >> >To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
                            >> >From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
                            >> >Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:04:10 -0000
                            >> >Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available
                            >> > I was hoping that the documentation in the files area on this group
                            >> would
                            >> >apply, but apparently, the boards I have are a respin and the reference
                            >> designators
                            >> >appear to have changed. Where can I find an up-to-date schematic and
                            >assembly
                          • y2kvaguy
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                              I just got them from Jan Wuesten.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                That's the info I was looking for. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                  I'll check that again, but I have to run off to work just now. Over the weekend, I went ahead and traced out the board and compared it to schematics I could find. I matched up the resistor values to each segment and mapped that onto my boards. I was unable to determine a definitive reference designator for some of the resistors, but I was able to make sure each segment had the correct value based on older schematics. I'm waiting on the switching transistors to arrive, and when those come, I'll try to fire these up. I also need to figure out how to daisy chain these, since the config is updated from the schematics I've seen so far. Thanks all for the help. I'll try to post results when I get these puppies running.

                                  -M

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010

                                    > > I have had a couple of zm1350's which behaved similarly to yours, and I ran them at about 25% over voltage for an hour which seemed to wake them up

                                    Hello,

                                    in fact I check them all on the original factory tester and many many
                                    have flawless lightup but at slightly higher voltages, they seem to
                                    be quite prone to "in the shelf cathode poisoning".
                                    I do not sell any that do not light all segments properly or even
                                    miss segments.
                                    With slight overvoltage they will recover easily.

                                    Jan

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                      The PCB's are my design.
                                      And Jan has put all of the documentation on line.
                                      There's a partlist, with resistor number and value.
                                      Also the board has numbers with all components. (One or two may be hard to
                                      read)
                                      But to help that, there's a PDF with all components marked as well.

                                      Be carefull with T7, the component outline is wrong. (E and C must be changed)
                                      Look where the Emitter is located.

                                      Interconnection is also simple. Just connect the adjecent sides 1 to 1.
                                      Pin 12 to the processor is the data input for the string.

                                      BR/
                                      Guus Assmann

                                      >From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
                                      >Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:42:16 -0000
                                      >Subject: [smartsockets] Re: ZM 1350 Varisymbol smartsockets available

                                      > I'll check that again, but I have to run off to work just now. Over the
                                      >weekend, I went ahead and traced out the board and compared it to schematics
                                      >I could find. I matched up the resistor values to each segment and mapped
                                      >that onto my boards. I was unable to determine a definitive reference designator
                                      >-M

                                    • y2kvaguy
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                        Hi, Jan -
                                        Yeah, I exchanged messages with you and you mentioned "over-" something, and I forgot if it was current or voltage, and was unsure about how much. I don't know if the power supplies I'm using will go as much as 25% over-voltage (212v), but they may approach that.

                                        I read a rather detailed web page about testing of the ZM1350 tubes, and I'm pretty sure it was one of your pages. You documented the effects of various "error" conditions, for example, what too little or too much voltage did to the display's appearance. Similarly, how to see when you have enough (but not too much) current. It was a very informative discussion, but when I tried to find it again, I couldn't. (sometimes I get too absorbed in the reading, and forget to set a bookmark) There were also links to a couple of videos showing the "dancing segments" test on a good display, and the visually interesting "dancing segments" that resulted from a badly poisoned display. It was the kind of thing that looks really cool, but is probably very difficult to reproduce. I'd like to find that page again.

                                        I may have mentioned that I'm a product of the age of transistors and IC's. I don't know how hard or easy it is to "kill" a ZM1350, but I'd rather not perform any destructive testing. If I have to burn them in for a while at elevated voltage, that's fine, I just don't want to cause damage.

                                        I'm going to be running these displays unmultiplexed because it's said to be easier on the displays. You don't have to drive them as hard if they're always on, and you don't have the mechanical stress of switching. (Apparently, the segments can make noise if switched hard at audio frequencies.)

                                        Well, I'm off to try to find code to emulate something like a FLW/clock. Thanks for the help, folks.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                          Doh! That schematic isn't up to date. That schematic shows J1 with 5 pins. I don't have a board with me to compare reference designators, but my boards have J1 and J2, each of which has 4 pins, rather than 5. I've figured out where to wire the power supplies, but not which pins are "data in" versus "data out." I suppose I can find out via experimentation.

                                          Aside from the documentation, I like these Smartsockets. There was obviously a bit of thought that went into the design, and they're nice and compact. I dismantled an old 68030 PGA socket (remember those?) and used the pins for my ZM1350s. They're a nice snug fit on the pins, and they work well in the Smartsocket. Note: if anyone else tries this approach, make sure that the pins will fit the ZM1350 BEFORE going to all the trouble. I have more than one of these sockets, and not all of them will accept the pins of the ZM1350.

                                          Anyway, before I trash up the forum with asked-and-answered questions, I'm off to troll about the archives. Thanks for the help.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                            By the way. While the schematic isn't up to date, as I said, it's MUCH cleaner than the one I had. Thanks.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 25, 2010
                                              To: smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: "y2kvaguy" <y2kvaguy@...>
                                              Date sent: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:54:31 -0000

                                              if it was mine it´s www.askjanfirst.com/zm1350.htm

                                              > I may have mentioned that I'm a product of the
                                              age of transistors and IC's. I don't know how hard or
                                              easy it is to "kill" a ZM1350, but I'd rather not perform
                                              any destructive testing. If I have to burn them
                                              in for a while at elevated voltage, that's fine,
                                              I just don't want to cause damage.

                                              it won´t.

                                              its far easier to destroy if you drop it from the table ;-))

                                              > I'm going to be running these displays unmultiplexed
                                              because it's said to be easier on the displays.
                                              You don't have to drive them as hard if they're always on,
                                              and you don't have the mechanical stress of switching.
                                              (Apparently, the segments can make noise if switched
                                              hard at audio frequencies.)

                                              this is far more of concern with usual nixies as their electrodes are
                                              hanging free.
                                              The ZM1350 electrodes are tied to the bootom plate of the tube and
                                              should be quiet.

                                              > Well, I'm off to try to find code to emulate something
                                              like a FLW/clock.

                                              there is some stuff in the neonixie-L- archives

                                              Jan