Re: [smartsockets] pull-mid resistors on Smart sockets

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2009
      On 15 Dec 2009, at 18:42, ckeiser10 wrote:

      > I have just completed a 4 letter word clock using John Smout's pic.
      > It works well but is noisy especially when all segments are on
      > during a transition. I read an earlier entry from Chris about
      > possibly adding pull-mid resistors to the smart socket. Has any
      > tried this and gotten any results? I could cage the tubes in
      > plastic but would prefer not to.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Chuck

      Charles,

      My tubes sing too when doing a fade or transition, it's the
      transition frequency we hear. I am not sure there is much we can do
      about this. Would a pull-mid help much?

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2009
        There is the possibility that pull-mids could help, because even though a fade is created by switching rapidly between two digit cathodes, each individual cathode is being switched between 0V and HV+ during that time. A pull mid will reduce the total switched potential by holding the cathode at a lower off state voltage than if no pull mid were used.
        It is certainly worth trying as an option.

        The noise,as far as I can tell, is a result of the small amount of movement which each cathode exhibits, when it is switched, as a result of electrostatic forces. The cathodes are not fixed rigidly, or clamped, to their supports and the sml amoint of fitting tolerance allows them to move slightly.

        Chris