ZM-1350 boards?

  • gopstein
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 10, 2007
      Do you already have boards for the ZM-1350? They seem to be easier to
      get than the B7971.
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

        > Do you already have boards for the ZM-1350? They seem to be easier to
        > get than the B7971.

        Hello there,
        No , I haven't attempted to make any special boards just for the ZM1350.

        Althogh I do know of at least one member of this group who has used the
        original PCB succesfully to make the two tube clock implementing
        ZM1350's.

        The only changes needed are to the segment cathode resistor values,
        ZM1350's use much less current than a B7971 so naturally, higher value
        resistors are required.

        The design is open source, so feel free to develop your own pcb.

        Giampaolo Minetti has designed a 5-character ZM1350 based display
        device called the 'Penta', and his design information is here
        http://xoomer.alice.it/1962/ The units can be daisy-chained together.

        Do you think it is worth making a seperate PCB for the ZM1350 ? If
        anyone else has a view on this I would appreciate hearing what it is
        because I am considering having another small run of B7971 PCB's made
        up , so how many people would benefit from some ZM1350 versions too ?

        I don't have any ZM1350's to play with but the pinout and physical
        dimaensions must be on a datasheet somewhere. I'ld look into doing it
        if demand was high enough,

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
          On 11 Mar 2007, at 13:02, Chris wrote:
          > I don't have any ZM1350's to play with but the pinout and physical
          > dimaensions must be on a datasheet somewhere.
          http://www.nixieclocks.de/english/downloads/docuenglishv108zm1350.pdf

          John
        • gopstein
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
            > Hello there,
            > No , I haven't attempted to make any special boards just for the ZM1350.

            > The design is open source, so feel free to develop your own pcb.

            > Do you think it is worth making a seperate PCB for the ZM1350 ? If
            > anyone else has a view on this I would appreciate hearing what it is
            > because I am considering having another small run of B7971 PCB's made
            > up , so how many people would benefit from some ZM1350 versions too ?
            >
            > I don't have any ZM1350's to play with but the pinout and physical
            > dimaensions must be on a datasheet somewhere. I'ld look into doing it
            > if demand was high enough,
            >
            > Chris

            I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350 because of
            the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a try,
            but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were going
            to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
            ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the layout...
            And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if you'd be
            willing to have them fabricated.

            Rich
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
              On 11 Mar 2007, at 19:31, gopstein wrote:
              > I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350 because of
              > the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a try,
              > but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were going
              > to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
              > ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the layout...
              > And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if you'd be
              > willing to have them fabricated.
              >
              > Rich
              I would also like a set of these.

              I can do a pcb layout if you are too busy, Chris.

              That's a bummer about Zetalink. Ray is a nice guy, but he's in a hole
              at other people's expense.

              Rich, the smartsockets work really well.

              John
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
                wrote:

                > On 11 Mar 2007, at 19:31, gopstein wrote:
                > > I'm guessing that more and more people will use the ZM1350
                because of
                > > the cost and availability of the 7971's. I could give a layout a
                try,
                > > but I've never done it before. I have four ZM1350's (which were
                going
                > > to be for a FLW kit, before my money disappeared into the Zetalink
                > > ether). I could lend you one if you'd be willing to do the
                layout...
                > > And - I'd guarantee you that I'd buy four of the boards - if
                you'd be
                > > willing to have them fabricated.
                > >
                > > Rich
                > I would also like a set of these.
                >
                > I can do a pcb layout if you are too busy, Chris.
                >
                > That's a bummer about Zetalink. Ray is a nice guy, but he's in a
                hole
                > at other people's expense.
                >
                > Rich, the smartsockets work really well.
                >
                > John

                Hi John,
                For me the biggest hurdlle isn't to do the layout but to make an
                accurate part template in Eagle. I'm only guessing that it isn't just
                a case of joining up the dots though.

                If you want to go for it please keep me posted.
                I'm working on the new B7917 pcb, which means re-assigning some of
                the pins to different segments. The code will need to be changed to
                reflect the changes tothe hardware but that's trivial, although it
                will mean that there will be two versions of software to watch out
                for.

                The ZM1350 version would probably need to only have the same changes,
                so that the pinouts of the PIC and the ZM1350 can be made to have
                some conformity in order to optimise the PCB to be small and tightly
                packed.

                Chris
              • Matt Gorbet
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 11, 2007
                  Hey Chris,

                  If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely buy
                  some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find enough
                  7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.

                  I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
                  minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just different
                  resistors, same code right?

                  <M>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 12, 2007
                    Hi Matt,
                    Okay then I'll try to get another batch done as soon as possible.

                    I relaid the board on Eagle lastnight, and so far I've managed to shave
                    a quarter inch off all around, and hopefully a bit more.

                    Yes, everything will work exactly the same for any 14 segment display.

                    I'm a bit busy with University work this week but it's going to stick
                    in my mind that I need to get it finished.

                    Chris

                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Gorbet" <mgonline@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Chris,
                    >
                    > If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely
                    buy
                    > some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find
                    enough
                    > 7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.
                    >
                    > I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
                    > minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just
                    different
                    > resistors, same code right?

                  • Matt Gorbet
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 12, 2007
                      Thanks - no rush, hoping to get the tubes first anyway... :)

                      <M>

                      On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:57:10 -0000, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> said:
                      > Hi Matt,
                      > Okay then I'll try to get another batch done as soon as possible.
                      >
                      > I relaid the board on Eagle lastnight, and so far I've managed to shave
                      > a quarter inch off all around, and hopefully a bit more.
                      >
                      > Yes, everything will work exactly the same for any 14 segment display.
                      >
                      > I'm a bit busy with University work this week but it's going to stick
                      > in my mind that I need to get it finished.
                      >
                      > Chris
                      >

                      > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Gorbet" <mgonline@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hey Chris,
                      > >
                      > > If you are in fact going to have more B7971 PCBs fabbed, I'll likely
                      > buy
                      > > some more from you - I'm still holding out hope that we can find
                      > enough
                      > > 7971s to make 2 more "from me to you"s.
                      > >
                      > > I may get some B5971s as well, but I assume changes would be fairly
                      > > minor to your board if we had 5971s and sockets - really just
                      > different
                      > > resistors, same code right?

                    • gopstein
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
                        Chris,

                        Looks like your ZM-1350 Eagle library part is perfect. I printed it
                        out 1:1 and the pins on the real device lined up fine. Thanks!

                        Rich
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "gopstein" <rich@...> wrote:

                          > Chris,
                          >
                          > Looks like your ZM-1350 Eagle library part is perfect. I printed it
                          > out 1:1 and the pins on the real device lined up fine. Thanks!
                          >
                          > Rich

                          Thanks for that Rich, I was about to order a ZM1350 because I thought
                          that would be the best way tot est it, your test has reassured me a
                          great deal.
                          I worked down to 0.1mm whcih ought to be accurate enough where socket
                          pin receptacles which have a tolerance greater than that are used.

                          The board shop I want to use will only acccept Gerber format and not
                          Eagle, and they say there seems to be a problem with my Gerber output
                          which I created using the Eagle 'Cam processor' plug-in.

                          I will try to convert it again today at the University, on one machne
                          i have access to there are several bespoke PCB creation packages
                          which, if I can make them work, should solve the problem !