Smart Sockets

  • Ken Wolfe
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
      Thinking of selling these?
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@...> wrote:

        > Thinking of selling these?

        Hello
        There's some information about them at the link below, but I see that
        some free advertising has taken up residence over the ''prices and
        details'' link at the top right of the page. I think the link still
        works but it's just difficult to see
        http://fixitsan.freewebspace.com/index.html

        The pricing details are copied here
        http://fixitsan.freewebspace.com/page2.html

        And the documentation is here
        http://fixitsan.freewebspace.com/B7971%20Smart%20Sockets.zip

        (Excuse the documentation spelling mistakes, I need to finish
        proofreading it).

        If you have any questions please feel free to discuss them with me.

        Best Wishes
        Chris
      • Ken Wolfe
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

          > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@> wrote:

          Hello Chris,

          I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
          month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
          are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
          0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
          a large enough lip. They fall straight through.

          Hope the New Year is treating you well!

          Ken
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
            On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:

            > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
            > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
            > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
            > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
            > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.

            Ken,

            I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip of
            them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent the
            remaining lip over and they soldered down beautifully. No problems.

            Chris, I played with the new revision underscores yesterday and I am
            happy to say they are working just great. The philosophy and address
            protocol now matches the other parameters. So well done that man for
            enhancing that feature.

            I also squirted in a reasonably full set of UDCs, from 0 to the top,
            except for the exclamation mark and chr13. Not tested them yet, too
            many domestic jobbies this weekend. Will let you know how I get on
            with them in due course.

            Regards,

            John
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
              ...Happy new year by the way, good luck with it !

              Ken, the receptacles are from Rapid Electronics, part number 22-1125

              They're made by Harwin and can be veiwed here
              http://tinyurl.com/ydzy8b

              Jphn has mentioned using D-sub contacts and I agree that it's
              perfectly acceptable. if you were lucky enough to be someone who got
              some sockets when they bought their tubes you can solder the socket
              directly to the PCB if you mount it on the reverse side to the side
              which the components are on.

              I hope that helps.

              John, watch out for character 13, and the exclamation mark. I can't
              remember if we discussed it already and you're mentioning it because
              of that discussion, but you will probably see no effect, because char
              13 is read as an end of message and is ignored, and the exclamation
              mark is read as the 'no change' character.

              I have tried to think of a way to get by without using char 13 as
              the end of message marker, but it would get tricky, but it might be
              fun to put the serial port under more strain and check to see if the
              processor can do more inline character shuffling, I think it could,
              and if I were going to do it all again I think I would write the code
              with that in mind. I hope it doesn't become a problem for you for a
              while !

              Best Regards
              Chris

              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@...>

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                On 7 Jan 2007, at 21:35, Chris wrote:

                > John, watch out for character 13, and the exclamation mark. I can't
                > remember if we discussed it already and you're mentioning it because
                > of that discussion, but you will probably see no effect, because char
                > 13 is read as an end of message and is ignored, and the exclamation
                > mark is read as the 'no change' character.

                Yes Chris, I am mentioning it because of that discussion. That is why
                I didn't redefine those two chrs as they are off limits because they
                have special meanings for the smartsockets. I think this is a
                perfectly acceptable limitation.

                John
              • Ken Wolfe
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@...> wrote:

                  > On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:
                  >
                  > > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
                  > > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
                  > > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
                  > > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
                  > > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.
                  >
                  > Ken,
                  >
                  > I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip of
                  > them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent the
                  > remaining lip over and they soldered down beautifully. No problems.
                  >
                  > Chris, I played with the new revision underscores yesterday and I am
                  > happy to say they are working just great. The philosophy and address
                  > protocol now matches the other parameters. So well done that man for
                  > enhancing that feature.
                  >
                  > I also squirted in a reasonably full set of UDCs, from 0 to the top,
                  > except for the exclamation mark and chr13. Not tested them yet, too
                  > many domestic jobbies this weekend. Will let you know how I get on
                  > with them in due course.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > John

                  Thanks John, I might try that.

                  Ken
                • Ken Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                    Chris,John,

                    I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
                    overseas shipping.

                    Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01

                    Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors available
                    if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs first.

                    Thanks guys,
                    Ken

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                      On 8 Jan 2007, at 00:24, Ken Wolfe wrote:

                      > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors available
                      > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
                      > first.

                      Ken,

                      Chris's boards are heaps of fun and mine worked straight out of the
                      box without a hitch. I think they are a good way of showing off what
                      are rare and interesting tubes.

                      Let us know how you get on,

                      John
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
                        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@...> wrote:

                        > Chris,John,
                        >
                        > I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
                        > overseas shipping.
                        >
                        > Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01
                        >
                        > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors
                        available
                        > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
                        first.

                        > Thanks guys,
                        > Ken

                        That's good Ken, I was concerned that I had specified using a part
                        made of unobtanium.

                        I think I only have 4 boards left, and might consider having another
                        run made, the option to do that is always there.
                        I have 10 processors in stock now, after a small period of non-
                        supply.
                        John, by the way, I received your returns, thank you.

                        Let me know if you have any more problems Ken,

                        Cheers
                        Chris
                      • Ken Wolfe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                          Chris,
                          I finally started to populate the boards tonight (yay!)

                          I have one question. What value is R-31? I looked through what
                          paperwork I have and haven't decided on a value. I have a habit of
                          not reading everything before I start. (It's a guy thing).

                          Thanks!
                          Ken

                        • fixitsan@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                            Hello Ken, that's good news !
                            R31 is the anode resistor and is optional. It's optional in the sense that if you use a 170Vdc power supply then you only need to bridge the pads with a wire because the cathode resistors were selected for a 170V HV supply.
                            Another builder is using a 200V supply and we reckoned on 10K being about right for R31.

                            Let me know if you need more information
                            Chris
                          • Ken Wolfe
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                              Thanks Chris