Re: PCB's for Smartsockets - Group buy

  • taylorjpt
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
      > Could you remind me about something regarding those boards, when they arrived the holes for the pin receptacles were the correct size, yet when I placed an order with the previous board house, using the Eagle format files in the files section, the holes for th4e pin receptacles came back undersize.
      >
      > Do you recall making any changes, and would it be wise to update the files in the file section to reflect that ?
      >
      > Chris

      The hole sizes on the Eagle CADD file looked right for a loose fit (0.086" diameter) but if not specified as "After plating" these can shrink by a factor of 2 x PlateThickness, or 1.4mils per oz = 2.8mil smaller than the drill. If a HASL "Tin" plate is used, this could subtract another 5 to 10 mils for a large hole... now your 0.086" hole is 0.0732" in diameter which is the exact diameter of the pin! (Smaller if you use the press-fit pins with knurling). Let's not even consider hole size tolerance, drill wear and drill spiral.

      The re-design specifies 0.086 after plating (up 1 oz) as well as a 20mm hole for the tube end so you should not have a problem.

      http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/Circuits/1386SmartSocket/1386.gif

      jt