Re: [smartsockets] Re: Smartsockets available from Onno Tromop

  • John Taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2009
      The board house I use has no problem with hole sizes so if you could tell me what the optimal hole sizes are for the tube end as well as the sockets I can adjust it on the layout...  I have translated the circuit to my CADD system so I can end up with a R274X gerber data set.

      I too have moved components around...

      jt

      At 01:19 AM 6/14/2009, you wrote:

      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "taylorjpt" <jpt@...> wrote:

      > There does seem to be a lot of variation from the board files at this group and those available as described above. I only offer to run some boards out at cost to save the rest of the group the NRE hit experienced by most board houses (I get my boards at Kyocera Wireless prices). Don't want to end up with a batch of "broken boards" however...
      >
      > jt

      I had a batch of boards made using the files in the files section, and the only obvious revision required was that the drill size which I employed for the pin receptacles appears not ot be large enough to accept pin receptacles, and required a small amount of realing to enlarge them. The files probably could do with updating, but I have been busy working on my degree (final exams during the past few months) and hence this project has taken a back seat.

      Also, there needs to be a large hole added undernetah the tubes in the centre to let the glass nipple underneath each tube through. I specified the hole size to the board house but that work was not carried out. It later transpired that I should have specified a 'cutout', instead of a hole, because the hole size required was larger than their largest size of drill.

      Onno has made further alterations to the original design, apparently moving component positions too. I would be happy to use Onno's design in place of my own, of course (!), but equally I would be happy just to know about all changes which were required.

      I have a very busy schedule at the moment and won't be able to implement these changes immediately, but nor will they remain outstanding for very long.

      Chris
    • John Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2009
        I was able to get all the specs for the hole sizes etc.  I can sympathize with you as to time for work (School); I have a full time job as well as an engineer for a cell phone company and it's a real effort to squeeze out time for other interests.  That's why I don't do a hard sell on my web stuff, yet.

        jt

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
        • 1 Attachment
        • 60 KB
        The talk of VFDs is making me want to dust off my boxes of them. My favorite is the one attached.

        I still have several thousand 14 segment x 40 character displays from '80s TTY work but I never liked the character compromise of 14 segments, yet I could never bring myself to through them away.

        jt
      • Don Hackler
        Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
          How about a picture of the 40 character displays?

          On Jun 21, 2009, at 3:37 PM, John Taylor wrote:

          > The talk of VFDs is making me want to dust off my boxes of them. My
          > favorite is the one attached.
          >
          > I still have several thousand 14 segment x 40 character displays
          > from '80s TTY work but I never liked the character compromise of 14
          > segments, yet I could never bring myself to through them away.
          >
          > jt
        • taylorjpt
          Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21, 2009
            Memory just a bit rusty, they are actually 32 character/14 segments with decimal points:

            http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/Electronics/Displays/Itron_FG326A-2.jpg

            jt